chapter twenty.

[08/07/23: flashback has been updated regarding seiko and his age's. can't spoil the story for those who haven't read yet 😋]

;;

Trees shook. Leaves fell. Animals hid.

Seiko and Hanami left no mercy for anything or anyone and fought to the death. As usual, Seiko was winning by far. Hanami was already feeling battered, while Seiko had yet to take a hit.

The curse jumped up through the air. He decided that he needed any type of weakness from Seiko to beat her. Mahito hadn't told him much, despite the basic information that she rivaled even Gojo Satoru.

Roots began to grow out of Hanami, evolving into a large tree. Seiko jumped, grabbing onto one of the roots. She used her grasp on the root to twist herself sideways, to give her the advantage she would always have. Her foot smashed through the middle of the root, breaking it in half.

Hanami growled, reaching one of his roots to clasp around Seiko, who was mid-falling. Seiko let the root tighten around her waist, and grinned condescendingly at Hanami. He lifted another root and smashed it towards her. Seiko let it hit her, to satisfy Hanami's appetite. The curse seemed to dislike her more and more by the second.

Seiko's head had turned from the impact of the hit, and she could feel the blood dripping from her temple. She felt no pain, thanks to her second technique.

Slowly, her head turned straight. "So violent," she mocked.

"I will kill you!" Hanami screamed, his voice disoriented and rather annoying. "You will die by my hand! I will prove that I am more than everyone! I will kill everyone and everything!"

Seiko pretended to yawn. "Have fun with that." Seiko was having the time of her life, unfortunately, Hanami felt the opposite. Egging him on and taunting him seemed to create more annoyance. Seiko would regret it later on, he would make sure of it. 

"You will regret this, mortal!" Hanami shouted. "I will make you pay for all that you have done!" Hanami suddenly smiled, his teeth vicious against his gums. He raised one of his arms, and let out an ear-curdling scream. 

All the amusement in Seiko's face drained. She warped out of the grasp of the root and landed roughly on the ground from the sudden uneasiness that rushed through her. "What the hell?" she mumbled, quickly standing up. 

Standing in front of her, was no other than the man that sold her to Raiden. 

 Both Gojo and Seiko knew who it was. Gojo hid from the others who had truly given Seiko away. He had been waiting for the very moment that Seiko was alone, and when her power had begun to grow even stronger. 

He was someone that was close to both Seiko and Gojo. He'd met Seiko, or Sumire, one summer day. They had met at a small, but hidden, stream. Seiko had run after the beatings she had received, tired of all that she'd been dealing with for years. The thirteen-year-old was seated at a rock, her feet placed in the cool stream. The water around her was dyed red, from the continuously dripping blood. Her expression was blank, staring into the water with little emotion. 

Then, he came along. He too was injured and on the run. He stumbled upon the open area, continuing to walk down the path. He was surprised when he found Seiko sitting at the side, believing her a ghost when he first saw her. He was mildly scared since there was blood surrounding her and she was a young child. Once realizing she was truly a real human, he had slowly taken the seat beside her. He glanced over to the young girl. Her kimono slipped past her shoulder and revealed her undershirt. The fourteen-year-old could see the many scars and open wounds littered across her back. He wanted to know what kind of monsters could do this to a girl who was hardly younger than he.