Reaching Out

The week has gone by too fast for Blaine's liking. At first he had thought getting that note would slow things down, but people only walked faster. And his heart only pounded an acceleration that would never seem to stop.

Now, he's sitting in a chair. The chair at the front of Miss. Pillsbury's desk. It's a Friday afternoon. It's finally sunny enough outside that the flowers Miss. Pillsbury had grown were now in the choir room, eating up the sun they were starved of for so long. Only a substitute to keep them alive.

So, with distractions out of the way, there is nothing to keep Blaine from spilling the truth.

"So, Blaine, what brings you to my seat today?" Miss. Pillsbury asks with a soft smile on her face. Her hair is pulled back in a low ponytail with strands coming out the front. Warmth radiates from her like a human oven.

Blaine shuffles in his seat, not wanting to make a fool out of himself if that's a possibility.

"To talk."

"Talk about what, Blaine?" The way she says it -- it's so... Nice. A niceness Blaine has never felt before in his life. She takes out a journal and a pen to write in.

"Just to talk about..." Reaching out. That's what he is doing. To tell the truth before the truth tells him. But how?

"About?"

I want to talk about old me.

"I-- I'm sorry." And it's almost a joke how he tucks himself in with his arms.

Miss. Pillsbury hesitates before reaching over and rubbing Blaine's arm. "Don't be apologetic, Blaine. There's nothing to be sorry about. Not right now.

"Please, share what's going on so I can help you."

I know what you did last summer. A notion of innocence coming from cardstock and pretty handwriting. It's not whats going on but what went on. And Miss. Pillsbury had no idea about any of it. Until now.

"I want..." He pauses. Not for dramatic appeal, but to catch his breath. "I want to talk about Promise Tree."

A movement as something gets written down.

"I see. And what about Promise Tree do you want to discuss?"

"June eighteenth. My last day there before I moved."