Chapter 3

"My phone died, what do I do now?" I asked Nate showing him my dead phone. I had left it in the car when I realized we were going to a haunted house, I didn't want to drop it in there and have to go back for it.

"You just show up, Natalie. It's your dorm not his. Abigal looked like she was going out on a date so she may not even be back yet. Don't worry."

"Thanks Nate. For the night as well as calming me down."

"No problem. Plus we're already here so even if you don't call you can text them as soon as you're inside. Thanks for coming with me. It was good to see you again. I missed you around when you graduated before me."

"Still beating those girls off with sticks?"

"I'd never hit a girl! What kind of guy do you take me for?" He feigned horror and placed his hands over his heart in a shocked manner.

"Well you did take me away from my boyfriend for the night."

"I think he can live. He doesn't seem too nice anyway." We walked up the stairs as I dug through my pockets for my key.

"Got it!" I went to open my door and realized that it was slightly open. I felt my eyebrows furrow and my thin lips turn up at a crooked angle.

"What's wrong?" Nate asked.

"My door is open." Before I could open the door Nate pulled me backward and put his hand to stop my advance.

"Let me go in first."

"Why? It's my dorm, remember?"

"Yes, but I'm not letting you go in first if someone broke in. Let me do this, please don't fight with me on it." His voice was strong, adament about going in before me.

"Fine. Go ahead." He drew a gun from his belt loop and I raised my hands and backed away from him and the weapon. "I'm not going to shoot you, relax. I have a permit and have been carrying for a while."

"Whatever you say...."

Nate slowly opened the door, it didn't even squeak like it does when I try to be quiet, and took tennative steps into the dorm. The lights were off, I lightly clicked the flashlight on my key chain before entering the dorm and gave him a little light.

There was the unmistakeable sound of Abigal having company in her room. I let out a realived sigh, and gave Nate an apologetic glance before turning the lights on.

"Who's there?" A male voice came from Abigal's room. I cocked my head to the side and glanced at Nate with a confused look on my face. Why did I recongize that voice?

"Who's there!?" The tone became urgent as I could hear stumbling in the room. I placed my extended pointer finger to my lips to tell Nate to stay quiet. A figure stummbled out of the room with black boxers on with a bat.

Nate, out of reflex, raised his gun and took aim. "If you come near me I will shoot you."

"Shoot him anyway. He's a dead man walking. Isn't that right Bryson?" I said, anger and betrayel lacing my words.

Bryson froze, instantly dropping the bat with a few audible clanks to cover up his cursing. I put my hand on Nate's and lowered the gun for him. It would be a last option, and it would be mine not his.

"Natalie? You were supposed to call before you came home! This is why I yell at you, you never follow orders!" Bryson stepped forward ready to hit me. He raised his hand but before he could touch me I punched him across the face.

"You're turning this on me? You're the one having sex with my best friend, my room mate, it's been what two years together?"

"You hit me! I think you broke my nose!" He clutched his nose, I hope it hurt like hell. Actually I hope I broke his nose.

"Two years! I hope I broke your nose. You broke my heart!" I heard a girllish squeel come from the next room.

Abigal, get your ass out here!" I yelled, pointing at the ground at my feet as she slinked out of the room. Her head hanging low, staring at the floor.

"You're cheating on me with my best friend." It wasn't a question and Bryson knew it, but because of that he didn't offer an answer.

"Natalie...."

"Shut up Abigal! I don't want to hear it from you! How about you go pack a bag, because you aren't welcome here!"

"But Natalie!"

"No! Go get a bag before I kick your ass out of her in your panties only!" She sighed, a tear slid down her face as she walked back to her room and hopefully started packing. Tomorrow anything she doesn't take is getting donated or thrown out. Anything I own of Bryson's will be burned at first light.

"You can't kick her out Natalie!" Bryson said forcing himself off the floor. Nate, who I forgot was still in the room, got in front of me and grabbed Bryson's hands before he could land a hand on me.

"You should never hit a lady." He said before lightly pushing Bryson away from me.

"Don't touch me!" Bryson yelled as Abigal skulked out of the room. "Abigal, you aren't going anywhere."

"Yes she is and so are you! Get out!" I yelled pointing toward the door.

"We aren't going anywhere!"

"You got caught with your pants down in my roommates room!"

"So? You have no proof we were having sex."

"But don't I?" I shifted all my weight onto my right foot, placing my hands on my hips and letting it dawn on him that Abigal had allowed me to put cameras in the rooms. She usually forgot to turn it off before she got it on, and I'd have to erase it later on.

Bryson didn't even try to fight his way out of this, and he couldn't turn it on me. I caught him red handed, can't blame for his own choices. Thank god my phone died, I might not have ever known if I followed all his rules.

I couldn't help but wonder what else I may have let slip, how many times had they done this and then lied to my face about it later.

I grabbed Abigal's bag from her and threw it outside the door. "Go fetch, but don't come back. I'm sure Bryson would love to take you home with him. Better then doing behind my back."

Byson got to his feet and led Abigal outside to get her bag. "Natalie you can't just send her out. It's not right."

"What's not right is that you two had sex, probably multiple times, while you were still dating me. This should go without saying, but just to make sure, we are over." I said gesturing to myself and Bryson. "There is no getting back together or i'm sorrys allowed. Its done. I never want to see your face again or hers. Good bye." I slammed the door in his face before he could say anything else.

All you could hear on the other side was Abigal crying, but crocodile tears have no effect on me.

Nate had left after everything occured and I finally aloud myself to cry. I cried myself to sleep and hoped it was all a bad dream.

Of course it wasn't a dream. The next day, after I burned all of Bryson's things that I owned, Abigal came back. She was lucky she came back when she did because I was going to trash her stuff next.

"I can't leave. There are no rooms avalible, they have to make sure they have enough for the students coming in for the spring class." She said with no emotion.

"Fine, I will leave." I said turning my back to her.

"Didn't you hear me? There are no rooms! We can fix this Nat!"

"No, we can't. I'm not finding a new room either. I was here first, and I expect you to leave the second you can."

"Where are you going to go then!?"

"I will be taking my Cultural Sciences chance and go to a different town for the semester. When I come back, I expect you to be moved out." I walked to my room and locked the door behind me. I could hear Abigal trying to get me to talk to me through the door but I was already packing my valuables.

I called my professor and said I was interested in the trip and said I didn't care where she sent me as long as it was warm. When she agreed, I started packing and waited for the email that would get me my pass out of this apartment.