Chapter 4

"So Professor, how long will I be gone again? I mean when one answers of course." I had been hinting around the actual question for the past two hours during a meeting she called! I just wanted to know if I got accepted somewhere.

Wow I sound like I'm trying to get into a different college.

"You'll be gone for the remainder of the semester, that way you can fully become part of the culture and thus be able to get credit."

"And I have to follow all their rules?"

"Even if you don't agree with them. That's the point." She said with a shrug as she shifted through the papers that had piled up on her desk.

Her desk was filthy. Not like dirty and muddy, just disorganized and it was starting to bother me since she lost everything because of how messy her desk was.

"So have you decided where I'll be going?" I asked.

"You'll be going here. If everything works out." Professor Wrigley said hitting a small portion of the map. Indicating I'd be going to California.

"California? Are there different cultures there?" Besides surfing cultures and movie star followers, I added silently.

She let out a short laugh, "Of course. Haven't you been paying attention in class? California is a hub of different beliefs and ideas."

"Yeah. Of course." I said half-heartedly causing her to question me further.

"What's the definition of culture?"

"Culture, shared beliefs and values of group: the beliefs, customs, practices, and social behavior of a particular nation or people"

Professor Wrigley smiled and nodded her head in approval. I must have proved to her that I at least knew something about the class.

"So has one accepted me yet?" I asked hopefully.

It had been a week, but I already couldn't stand being in the same house as Abigal. I made sure all of her dates over heard me yelling at her not to bring them home, so if they wanted to get it on afterward they'd have to go to his house.

Not that I wasn't tempted to tell them about her escapade with my boyfriend. Although what would it have really done?

They wouldn't care and then every guy with a girlfriend would be here, bored with their own girlfriend that would probably be willing to give it to them. But then I could at least have tons of blackmail on them. Down side would be telling all the girlfriends that their men are a bunch of douchebag-cheaters.

"Not yet. It's diffeicult to say when one or if any will accept you. I can't imagine why they'd turn you down, you do well in school and have great things to offer but it's a waiting game." Professor Wrigley said as if she was talking about a simple grade.

"I understand." I said with a feigned smile, I was in no mood to produce any actual emotion other than fury.

"Why did you want to try the culture exchange at the last minute anyway Natalie? You didn't show any interest in it during class."

"Well Professor, you see.... It's complicated...." There was a mechanical sound that interrupted my word vomit of an explanation.

"Hold on one moment." She said, gesturing a pause with her hands as she walked into her office. I could tell from here that the desk in there was a lot more organized than the one out here. That must be where she relaxes, no papers in there to clutter it up.

She was standing in front of the machine making the screeching noise. Tapping her foot impatiently to the tune to the screeches and whines of the machine.

"Yes one has just now accepted you to their town." She stated quickly handing me the acceptance letter straight from the fax machine.

"Eureka, California?"

"It's the only place that has accepted so far. They are very welcoming to new comers. It's warm and they have different beliefs that will make for an excellent paper, if you ask me."  She said with a smile, indicating that I should ask.

Although, if she just got the paper I don't know how she would know about the culture of this random town.

"What are their beliefs?"

"Their ancestry comes from the wolves."

"Like indians with the name wolves?" I questioned, hoping that's what it was because otherwise they are just insane.

"No, wolves. They believe that they are descendants of wolves."

Yep, they are insane. I stated to myself.

"Why?"

"Why do some believe that in order to get into heaven they have to sacrifice themselves in gruesome ways?"

I felt my eye twitch remembering the pictures she showed us in class or martyers, people that die for a cause. Like the monk that set himself on fire, and sat down in the middle of the street in protest while he burned alive.

"Look Natalie, if you don't want to go there, then just wait and we'll see if another place accepts." Professor Wrigley turned on her heel, papers in hands and headed for the door. Taking my silence as her answer.

"Wait!"

She paused and turned back to look at me over her blue-square rimmed glass. Her eyebrows arched slightly, moving strands of her blonde hair along with them, as she waited for me to continue speaking showing off her piercing green eyes that shook some students to the core if they got on her bad side.

"I'll go to Eureka. When do I leave?"

"If you want, tomorrow morning."

"That's perfect. I'll go pack right now." I quickly collected my bag from the floor and rushed out of the door before she could try to talk me out of it.

"I will email you the flight schedule and tickets!" Professor Wrigley yelled down the hall after my hasty retreat.

I just needed to get out of here.

I don't care where I go.