Chapter one

The Night Before

"So Natalie what are you doing tomorrow night?" Abigal asks as she walks into the room towel drying her hair.

"An old friend of mine is coming to see me from VMI."

"Really? Is he cute?" She smiled flirtatiously thinking about trying to get to meet him.

"He's cute but you're not touching him."

"That's no fair...."

"I haven't seen him since I graduated high school and I don't need you trying to flirt with him while we talk."

"What's there to talk about? He probably thought you were hot in high school and wants to see if he can get laid."

"And you want to help him with that?" I smiled sweetly, causing her to glare.

"No, I just don't want you in a position that could turn bad."

"I've been turning down Bryson for years. I think I can turn down Nate too, don't worry about it." There was a look that crossed her face, almost like she was worried about something.

"Just be careful." She skipped toward her room.

"Were you planning on hanging out?"

"No, it's fine! I'll find someone else to spend time with."

"You know I can't read minds, if you want to hang out you need to tell me." I could imagine her rolling her eyes at me.

I went to my room and turned on my Ihome that I was given for the college dorm room as a gift for graduating. The one thing my parents finally got right as a gift compared to the bright pink walls that gave me a head ache and the frilly bed spread that I hated with a passion. I often wondered if they bought them to make me be the girlie-girl my mom had been trying to turn me into throughout my school years.

I always preferred being a tom boy, compared to the whiney girlie-girl that couldn't do anything for herself. I think my brother got those genes will I got a dose of boy genetics. There was a rapid pounding on the wall from Abigal telling me to turn off my country music. Too bad we were in southern Virginia, a proud southern state through and through, so all she got was louder country music.

"You know that music could kill someone just from listening to it."

"Then you should listen to it so you have an immunity like I do." I turned to see Bryson standing in the doorway.

"I'm ok, I'd rather listen to Screamo every day for the rest of my life."

"It's not that bad." I say.

"Says you. So what's this Abigal is telling me that you ditched her tomorrow?"

"I'm going to meet a friend from VMI and she forgot that I told her, so now she's pouting because she can't drag me shopping or get me fat from eating ice cream and whatever else she cooks when she gets hungry."

"Then just skip out on the person from VMI. What will they care?"

"We've been planning it for weeks. That would be so rude and I see Abigal every day, I can go one night without seeing her!"

"Well maybe you can take her."

"I'm not taking her so she can flirt the whole time. It supposed to be so we can catch up, not so they can hook up."

"Wait, it's not a girl?"

"No, I told you this when we started planning it."

"No you didn't. I would remember that!"

"I have the text message to prove it!" I took out my phone and opened the text message, without letting him hold the phone so he couldn't delete the evidence that he had agreed to let me go and see Nate.

"You can't go!"

"You don't control me. Plus you already agreed! Read the phone Bryson, read the phone....." I waved the phone in his face knowing that I had won this fight.

"I don't want you going out with other guys."

"You already said I could go, I'm not canceling."

"Fine then I will for you." He tried taking my phone, but I grabbed and locked it so he couldn't do anything to it but dial 9-1-1.

"You can't, just relax. Trust is a two way street, I trust you and therefore you should trust me." His eyes showed an emotion that I wasn't formirar with but he quickly blinked it away.

"Turn that shit off!" He said walking over to my Ihome and turning it off.

"There's nothing wrong with my music, don't be angry at it or me. You agreed to this or I wouldn't have done it."

"What's the day that I agree with that?"

"The night after our two year anniversary." The same look of guitly or remourse crossed his eyes for a second.

"Right, well if I agreed I guess I shouldn't be mad. Just don't let him do anything to you ok Princess?"

"No problem, he and I will be on our best behavior." I said slowly, suddenly suspious of his change of heart.

"When is this get together?"

"Six to ten. Why?"

"I want to know how long I have to worry about some other guy touching my pretty girlfriend." He smiled showing his dimples. Every time I saw them I couldn't help but laugh since my friend, Taylor, had told me that dimples are actually a birth defect. Something that shouldn't happen, everyone thinks is cute.

"He won't do anything."

"If he does, I want to know."

"He could break you in half honey."

"Thanks Natalie.... So I was wondering.... if maybe after your 'date' you'd like to come over and have some alone time?"

"No sex before marriage; cool your hormones."

"Please?"

"No. That's final." He groaned at my stubborness for waiting for sex, so did Abigal but personally I'd rather not screw any guy that hits on me like she does either. She'd leave me alone at a party just to do it with some dude, normally ending up with me leaving and never attending another party again with her.

"Fine then I'm going to marry you so I can have you all to myself."

"You do that, let me know how it works out."

"It's late. I'll go so you can sleep. Please be good tomorrow, for me."

"I'm always good."

"Maybe a little too good."

"Naw, just the right amount."

"Fine but if he touches you he's dead." I didn't answer, I just shook my head knowing that he wouldn't take on Nate no matter what he did. I wish he would sometime, instead of the empty threats and insults that he hides behind, a little strength wouldn't be so bad. I heard him saying good bye to Abigal before the door slamed shut.

Out of instinct I got up to double check that it was locked, after a break in at my house I got into the habit of checking everything out. From doors and windows to closets and a few other places just to make sure the house was safe at night. Abigal made fun of me for it for a period of time until I explained the break ins then she just let me do whatever made me feel comfortable.

With a sense of security for the night I said good night to Abigal and locked my door after checking the closet and hiding places in my room. I heard a banging and moaning coming from Abigal's room, I groaned as I rolled over in bed.

"Abigal! Whoever is with you needs to be quiet so I can sleep!!" There was a sudden quietness that gave me an eerie feeling until I feel asleep for the night.