Chapter 7

I spent the remainder of the day talking to a few of the locals. Some were worried about the war that they felt was coming and shared more on what happens when a mate dies. There is apparently an extreme pain that happens to the other when their mate dies. It's said to be so unbearable that they only way they can end it is by killing themselves.

"It's horrible to watch."

"It's sad, I pray the fighting is over!"

"We need to fix the Mating cycle. The tribes need to be open again. I hope Jackson figures something out fast, Nicole is pregnant. He would just die if something happened to her now."

"She's pregnant? Oh, he really needs to hurry. This is going to be a dire time for both of them until that baby is out. Although, it's about time, they've been married forever with no kids. I thought she couldn't have any that it’s been so long."

Although, it was explained that it is against custom to kill themselves so instead they live in pain. An eternal pain in hope that there is another, but it's rare. It only happens when two have lost their mate and they are close enough to what they would have had. It's so rare because very few mates are ever similar, they are made with a specific person in mind and no one else.

There were others that would gush over their mate, how they had love at first sight or how they felt the strong pull to always be with that person. 'It was fate' as one person put it when I asked them. I could say this, they really believed in this stuff even if I didn't.

"He gave me flowers the first time I saw him and I knew it was him!"

"We traded dog tags, it was so romantic!"

"He came straight out and told me that he knew it was me and that we were meant to be together!"

I sat and wrote down all the answers and had them sign a piece of paper for my teacher. That way she would know that I didn't make all of it up and fake my way through a semester of school.

"So how did the interviews go, sweetheart?" A voice asked behind me. I turned to see Cole standing behind me with a smirk on his face that made my face turn hot.

"They went well, I think I have a good start to my paper."

"So soon?" He asked, putting his arm around me and leading me back toward his house.

"I'd rather get it done then work on my tan." I said with a smile as I poked his arm.

"You'll have plenty of time for that. A semester is eight weeks right?" Cole asked, directing me through the throng of people in the camp.

"Yes it is, but I have to be back two weeks before the semester is over so I can turn in all my work to my professors and have them grade it."

"You'll come back right?" He asked, sounding genuinely curious.

"I don't know. I doubt it, I live back in Virginia. Although, I must say I like California winter better than Virginia winter."

"You should stay then. I don't want to let you go." He said offering me a gentle smile as he swiped a stray piece of hair out of my face. It was such a gentle gesture, but it made my heart flutter and made me speechless.

"So what if I am your mate?" I asked moving the topic to what he actually wanted to talk about.

"Then you'll stay with me. It means your mine and I'm yours. What do you say?"

"I don't know. I barely know you and you're asking me to stay here forever in a culture I don't know or really believe in."

"You'll believe, but your right. I can make you fall in love with me before you leave, than you'll want to stay." Cole said confidently as Jackson came from behind with Nicole in tow and tapped on his shoulder.

"I've been looking all over for you!" Jackson said with urgency in his voice.

"What's going on?"

"I have an idea for how to ease tensions, between the tribes and get the mating flowing freely again."

"What is it, Jackson?"

"A party." Nicole spoke up, receiving an angry glare for Jackson and Cole for interrupting beta and alpha talk.

"What good would that do, Jackson?" Cole added emphasize so Nicole wouldn't speak out of turn again.

"Have you ever had a bad time at a party with the tribes?" Jackson asked simply.

"Of course not, make it happen. The sooner these tensions ease the better." Cole said with a dismissive wave of his hand. "It will be on Friday, near the lake. I will be spending the rest of this week winning over my beautiful mate." He said glancing at me.

"How are you going to do that?"

"Well, I'm told I'm quite the charmer."

"Who told you that, your mother?" I asked jokingly.

"You'll see, first thing tomorrow." Cole promised with a kiss.

"Where am I sleeping?" I asked, curiously noticing that people stayed with their mates and close friends.

"With me, but don't worry I have a separate bed already prepared for you."

"That's sweet."

"I told you, I'm a charmer." He said with a wink.

"Not so fast, I had my heart broken which is the only reason why I'm here. If you think you're going to win me over that easily it's not going to happen. You'll be lucky to ever win me over. Sure, you're handsome and sweet, but you can't force fix a broken heart."

"What happened to you back home?" He asked curiously, lifting one eye brow and tilting his head.

"I was cheated on. My boyfriend and my best friend."

"That's horrible, but don't worry. Here you'll never have to worry about that. It's the wonderful thing with mating, why would we cheat when we have the one that's perfect for us?" He asked leaning into me.

"You can't force fix this, Cole. So don't try."

"I won't need to force fix it sweetheart. You'll fix it all on your own, with a little assistance from me." He said moving within an inch to my face. I could feel his hot breath on my face and smell the sweet tang of his mint breath.

"You seem confident." I swooned slightly as I leaned forward.

"What can I say, I know we're meant to be together." He stated with a smile and gave me a small kiss on the tips of my lips before he lead me back to his home and erasing the last few thoughts I had of my troubles back home.