Chapter 8

Cole had spent the next full week attempting to win me over, and to be honest it was working. He had let me sleep in his monstrous sized bed, while he took the smaller bed and the next morning I woke up surrounded by flowers. They were a beautiful sight to see, all shades and colors imaginable and a few that I hadn't seen before.

"How do you like them?" He asked when he saw me admiring the over flowing bouquets.

"They are beautiful!"

"Good, you'll wake up to at least one every day." He promised before leaving me along for the rest of my first day there.

I took the day to work on my paper, it wasn't anywhere near finished, but I still had six weeks and I was sure that the party next week would give me the inspiration I needed. too bad for me, I had yet to realize just the inspiration it would give me.

The next day, Cole had kept his promise. I woke up to see a new beautiful bouquet of flowers on my bedside table along with a card. I was asked to join him for a picnic at lunch, he had already left to meet with the other leaders and plan the party that would hopefully ease the remaining tensions.

I took that time to meet the other people in the camp, a few weren't pleased to meet me but they were always polite.Well, their words were polite, their aqttitude was lacking. They would say hello and how was my day, but that would be it and if I tried to have anymore of a conversation they would basically run away.

After about the fifth time, it started to really bug me, I just wanted to get along with the people I had to coexist with for six weeks. Although some seemed determine not to meet me at all.

Nicole explained that they were worried about me making matters worse by insulting the other tribes by accident.

"Don't worry, Cole and Jackson are explaining your role here and the other tribes will know not to take an insult personally."

"What could I do to insult them?"

"I mean you insult people all the same don't you?" She asked with a laugh.

""Just name one please?"

"Well, screaming would be one way I guess. It is rather rude."

"Why would I scream?" I asked.

Nicole was about to answer when Jackson came from behind her and lifted her up easily into his arms. It was easy to see the love between them, or anyone and their mate. There seemed to be a light around them, a joyous tone and something about how they laughed together or looked at each other.

"I'm going to steal her now, Natalie! Hope you don't mind! My wife has gotten off easy today with me being busy! Now I have to go and mark her all over again so everyone knows she's mine. Even if it means another baby!" Jackson called without a fear of who was hearing.

"Jackson!" Nicole yelled with laughter in her voice. "I can walk!"

"But not as fast as I can and I need you as soon as possible so I'm not waiting for your perfect perky ass to get there."

"Bye." I said with a wave as I shook my head. Nicole was twenty-six and pregnant, but they were as horny as teenagers, it seemed really strange to me. I thought people waited until they were in their 30's to have kids, and got married in their late 20's.

The culture seemed so confusing and odd to me because I hadn't been raised in it. Although, I understood the science of it. At the reproductive age they have their children date so they can become the person they need to be and know what they need in a mate, then at the peak they've already mated.

It seemed flawless. You got to meet the one meant for you with no heartbreak about your earlier relationships. You knew they wouldn't last, and that was okay because you'd be happy forever with the one that was made for you. It made me wish I was a part of this culture, I wanted to know I'd be happy one day.

I turned to see Cole coming toward me and lifting me off the ground as I had seen Jackson do to Nicole.

"Are you ready for our picnic?"

"Sure." I said with a laughter.

He carried me to a river side under a flowering tree and fed me farm grown, home made lunch. He had even made some of my favorite foods, like fresh cucumbers and pasta. I had never had someone try so hard to impress me before, i felt special and for Cole's sake I hope it was working for him.

I know that while a guy tries to win over a girl he acts and behaves better than he actually does in a relationship, I had seen it first hand and knew it really well. So the question wasn't if I was falling for him, it was if I could trust him not to be like Bryson and break my heart again after he had it.

Although, if I listened to his culture that wouldn't happen. If we were truely mates, then we would be together forever and never have to worry about pety things like that. I would never have to worry if he cheated or didn't like me anymore. Of course he would, he's my mate and I'm his.

After we finished he took me on a walk that made me blush, he spent the whole time complimenting me and giving me soft kissed on my cheek.

I had to admit, I was starting to fall for him. That is if I hadn't already and just refused to admit it. IT seemed silly, fake in a way. That it couldn't be true that the one for me just knew when he saw me in a picture, but I was starting to believe it.

Cole had to leave again to settle some plans with the elders of the tribe, after every meeting that week, but told me he would see me for a surprise tomorrow.

Even on the seventh day, there was a bouquet of flowers and a card telling me where to meet him and when.

We had watched the sun set later that night. I was curled up in his arms, while he whispered all the things he liked about me in my ear. Then he told me about the ways he knew I was his mate and the life we could have together if I choose to stay. It meant the world to me that he was letting me choose whether or not to stay with him.

With all that, it had taken less than a week for me to fall in love with Cole.