Stepping Up, Chapter 25

"Did you know?" Jackal yelled as he stormed into the guard leader's ― his uncle's ― office.

Tibs didn't want to be here, but Jackal had insisted. Other than breaking one of Harry's rules and hoping he'd be dragged to his office instead of thrown into a cell, Tibs was the only way that Jackal could think of to be allowed onto the floors where those in charge had their offices.

Tibs hadn't expected it to work, hadn't wanted it to work, even if he wanted to help his friend, but helping Harry had come at the cost of more special treatment.

The guard leader's expression darkened as he looked up from what he was reading.

"Of course I do."

He turned the look at Tibs, who crossed his arms and stared back. Maybe helping Jackal get in would finally get them to stop with the special treatment.

"Then why haven't you thrown his ass out of here?" Jackal demanded, stepping to the desk.

Tibs had told Jackal about his father's visit as soon as he and Kroseph were back from their them time. He almost hadn't. He and Kroseph had looked so happy, arms around each other's waist and Jackal nuzzling and whispering things to his man that had him blush. It was sickening, but in a good way. But Jackal needed to know, and wouldn't thank him for more delay.

The change had been immediate: disbelief, fear, and then anger.

"Because my brother hasn't broken any of my rules."Harry answered.

"You know why he's here!"

"To see you."

"Bullshit!" Jackal spat. "He wants the guild, just like the one before him. The one that got you in here."

Harry shook his head. "He has no interest in the guild or the dungeon," he stated.
"I asked him," he added, voice hard, as Jackal opened his mouth.

"And you believe him?" Jackal asked in disbelief.

"Careful what you're implying, Jackie-boy."

"I'm not implying a fucking thing! I'm telling you, you're an idiot for believing anything my father says."

"I am light," Harry said through clenched teeth as he got to his feet. "No one gets away with lying to me."

"If there's one person who'd find a way, it's him!" Jackal snapped back.

"No one," Harry growled.

"Jackal," Tibs said, grabbing the fighter's arm. This was devolving. "Maybe we—"

"How does he even know I'm here?" Jackal yelled, pulling his arm away. "My sister told him, didn't she?"

"I didn't," Serve said, stepping into the office. Tibs looked for her dogs, but none were there.

"You're lying," Jackal said dismissively without turning.

"She isn't," Harry replied. "You think I kept her here because I enjoy having family around?"

"And did you bother keeping her from sending messages to him?" Jackal countered.

"You know, Jackie," she said with a sigh, "I usually find your paranoia amusing, but come on, I'm no happier with Dad being here than you are."

Jackal glared at her over his shoulder. "Really? Little Miss will-do-anything-to-be-Daddy's-pet isn't happy to see him?"

Tibs stepped between the two as Serba took a step forward.

"Enough!" Harry yelled, and the word slammed into Tibs with what felt like a physical force. Tibs stared at the guard leader, trying to understand how he'd done that. Light couldn't be solid, could it?