Stepping Up, Chapter 75

The front half of Sebastian's house was rubble. A mix of melted and broken wooden supports and walls. The back half was still standing, but listing forward, and looked to be about to continue falling at any time.

Harry's guards surrounded it. Tibs knew them to be because he recognized a few of them. They no longer wore the black and green that had been the guard's colors before. The only symbol of their status was now a painted insignia on the front of their armor; a white shield with two crossed swords. They had been hurriedly painted over the leather or metal, and each was sufficiently different Jackal had commented how easy it would be to paint it on their leathers and pass themselves off as guards.

Tibs hadn't even considered it. Harry's guards weren't liked by the town, and Tibs wanted them to know those who protected them had nothing to do with the guard leader.

There were only a dozen guards around the property, with maybe twice that patrolling the town. Harry had lost a lot of people to Sebastian's treachery, and until the attendants allowed the platform to be used again, he couldn't bring anyone new. A few of the Runners had been offered a position among them, but not one accepted.

The only people to arrive, in the two days since the fight for Kragle Rock had come to a decisive end, were adventurers. Tibs counted eight of them, each with Corruption as their elements. They were moving what Tibs and Don had created in the process of destroying the enchantments, and the house, into barrels.

They, along with crates of various sized, were transported to the guild buildings by other adventurers and people with essence that worked there.

Tirania had gotten the attendants to bring these adventurers in within hours of her coming to the inn, but she hadn't gotten them to do anything for the town itself, like get supplies in.

Tibs had tried to get into the house that first night, to retrieve one of the crystals so Carina could figure out what it was, but even then, the guards were there and were keeping an eye out for anyone attempting to get in, and for Tibs specifically.

"You know we aren't going to let you in, don't you?" the guard said, approaching Tibs.

Tibs didn't reply. This wasn't about getting in, it was about finding the patterns that would let him sneak past the guards. He'd get in, Tibs was certain of that. And he'd get a piece of that crystal.

* * * * *

The remnant of the house was lit by globes of lights. Some stationary, others following those searching through the rubble.

It forced Tibs to remain at the edge of the work. He'd be able to get closer, maybe even into the house to get one of the crystals he could still sense in the cellar, but he'd have to use Darkness to slip through the shadows, and he'd promised Jackal he wouldn't.

He didn't think he'd do anything destructive while channeling darkness, but he also had no idea how it would affect his mind. Secrets were something Darkness enjoyed, so would he get distracted by them and ignore his original intent?

He hadn't expected the light. That was the problem.

It hadn't been there the previous night, and Tibs hadn't known anyone other than Harry had that element. It meant he'd either missed someone there, more than one, by the number of light globes floating around the house, or Tirania had gotten the attendants to bring in yet more adventurers while doing nothing to help the town.

Cursing under his breath, he turned away and climbed to a roof. He'd break into one of the nobles' houses as a way to vent his frustration.

* * * * *

"You're alive!" Tibs was across the inn and hugging Serba.

"Let go of me." She said, tensing.

Tibs smiled at her, stepping away. He looked around for her dogs and his face fell when he saw none.