Breaking Step, Chapter 13

"You have suffered the kind of loss few people can imagine," Irdian told the large crowd of boys and girls.

Tibs had stood by the platform watching a dozen groups appear and be escorted along Dungeon Way. Not one was older than Jackal when they'd first met. He'd followed along the last group to appear, and now stood at the back, watching and listening. This had to be close to what it had looked like on the day he'd listen to his version of the welcome speech, other than there hadn't been any buildings or tents here.

"You have lost not only your homes, but your hearts. You had nothing to do with the conflicts those in power created; even your parents had nothing to do with it. It didn't keep those in power from pulling them into the fighting, leaving you alone. Leaving you hollow. Leaving you afraid of what is to come."

The commander's voice carried all the way to where Tibs stood, the essence bouncing off metal sheets suspended on wooden posts throughout the crowd. Tibs had seen the work that went into setting them up, but hadn't understood what they were for until moment before Irdian spoke. His voice sounded as if it came from the closest sheet. Clear enough Tibs heard the sorrow in the words.

He wished he was close enough to see if the words had light on them as they left the man's mouth.

"I wish I could tell you that your burden is going to ease. I wish I could tell you that here, you'll be able to put your worries for your future aside and be children again. I can't." Whimpers sounded in the silence. "You haven't been taken from hardship to be delivered into peace and quiet. I'm sorry. This world you find yourself in is one that will take its toll, and possibly your life. I can't be gentle in telling you about this. Gentleness isn't something that will serve you going forward, and to have you believe otherwise would do you a disservice. Those of you who survive will be molded into adventurers. Not many of you will survive. I'm sorry. But those of you who do will gain power. You will be able to avenge the needless death of your parents and other loved ones. Become strong enough, and the guild may let you topple the king responsible for the events that led to their deaths."

Tibs glanced at Jackal, Mez, Khumdar and Don, as well as the other Runner who had gathered to listen. They all showed the anger at the lie the ice kept Tibs from feeling. Tibs didn't need Light to know this was a lie. The guild didn't care about kings and nobles stepping on poor folks. If they did, the guild would step in and prevent it from happening. They would have kept Sebastian from causing so much destruction. They wouldn't have added to that while they kept themselves safe.

The guild only cared about power when it served its purpose and, looking at the assembled urchins, war was also something that served the guild's purpose.

"But you will not simply be thrown into death's path without preparation. That is not the guild's way. You will be tested. You will discoverer where the strengths are, and you will be trained in them."

Runners snorted in disbelief as Irdian motioned. Tibs wondered if this was another lie, or if this group would be better prepared for their first run than his had been.

"It's fucking unfair," a Runner muttered and other agreed.

"You will have accommodations," the commander said once the sweeping motion was done. "Tents to start with. But as your caretakers arrive and their houses are rebuilt, they will take you to them."

"Caretakers?" someone muttered. "Why didn't we get that? What's so special about these ones?"

"Don't wish misery on others just because we had to suffer," Quigly said. "They have suffered enough."

"I warn you against getting attached," Irdian continued. "Attachments are not something that will help you anymore. Friends only lead to pain when they die before you. When you have to separate because the mission the guild sends you on is with another team."