Stepping Up, Chapter 36

"What happened to all the teams?" Don asked, baffled.

Tibs gave him the side-eye, then went back to looking at the board. They'd died. That was what happened. What Tibs had trouble with was why so many of the Upsilon and Rho teams lost members.

He'd noticed that there were fewer and fewer people at the inn but, until now, he'd thought it was because everyone other than the loyal customers were eating at other places because of the supply problems the inn was having.

Just this morning, another shipment had arrived from MountainSea with many of the crates broken. The Attendants couldn't be blamed, since moving things using the platforms didn't affect the items, so Kroseph's father was in MountainSea now, investigating why so many shipments were damaged by the people transporting them to the platform.

Two and eight teams were on the board. The eight first were nobles. Of the others, Tibs only recognized half the names. It meant that the leaders of the other teams were recent graduates to Upsilon or some Runners who had lost their leaders had had to take over.

There had never been so many deaths of Runners with elements before.

"I get only the best survive," Don said, looking at Tibs with more dismay than sneering. "But you managed it, so more should have."

"Did you lose anyone on your team?" Tibs asked, looking to Radkliff, the only member of Don's team present.

"No." Don narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "Are you implying I'm not good enough to keep them alive?"

"Anyone know if they are bringing in new conscripts to fill the ranks?" Jackal asked. "Some of the names are Runners who graduated, but not many."

"Is there anyone left in the kingdoms' cells to send?" Mez asked.

"I do not believe there has ever been a need for so many conscripts before," Khumdar said. "From what I have learned in my travels, the first group is normally large enough to cause a dungeon to graduate, and then people paying to run the dungeon suffice to continue feeding it."

"I guess they never had someone try to kill it before," Don said, glaring at Tibs. "And have someone messing that up."

Tibs glared back at the sorcerer.

"Don't tell me you were actually involved with those people, Don," Carina said, annoyed.

"If they killed it, we wouldn't be here anymore," the sorcerer snapped. "They wouldn't need us!"

Jackal snorted. "You were wrong Tibs. He is an idiot."

"Watch your tongue." Don reached for Jackal, but Tibs stepped in front. The sorcerer's hand was surrounded with essence.

"Don't."

Don grinned evilly. "If you want to suffer in his place, I'm more than happy to make it happen." The essence shifted, linked into strands that resembled barbed hooks, and when he put his hand on Tibs's chest, they pumped corruption into his body.

Tibs considered acting hurt, letting the sorcerer think his attack worked, but despite the danger, he wanted to put him in his place. He looked him in the eyes and didn't react.

When Don's surprise turned to suspicion, Tibs realized having Don look into what he was up to could cause problems, so he misdirected the sorcerer. "I was doused in corruption. You can't make enough to compare to that."

Don snatched his hand away from Tibs, worry and annoyance on his face. Corruption was how he put people in their place. Tibs wondered how many of the Runners watching the exchange would stop being afraid now that they saw one person resist the sorcerer.