Stepping Up, Chapter 76

The street teemed with people, even if the only illumination was lanterns hung on poles throughout the burned-out husk of buildings. Each husk with a family going through the rubble, in case anything meaningful had survived, rose Tibs's spirits because it was one more family his action hadn't killed.

Most remains had no one looking through them.

It didn't mean he'd killed them, some had been able to afford to leave the town when Sto closed his door, but he wouldn't know until everyone came back, and in his current state, seeing the potential hope among the despair he'd caused was difficult.

He stepped toward a group, parents with three children. The youngest was crying in her father's arms. Each looked lost as they walked through the ashes. He had caused that pain, so it was his responsibility to—

"Where are you going?" Kroseph asked.

"To comfort them. To explain their pain wasn't intended and that I will make it better," Tibs explained, then turned to move again.

"You can't do that." The statement was firm. The previous three nights Kroseph had taken Tibs around the destroyed buildings surrounding the transportation platform, he'd explained. He'd cuddled, he'd reasoned. Now, he'd had enough.

Kroseph had re-explained everything once they were at the inn, and Tibs had agreed with him. Kroseph had complained that it was a waste of time, that when he was in that state, nothing got through to Tibs. But even tonight, he'd taken Tibs out again.

"Their suffering is my fault." Tibs understood Kroseph's reasoning. It was the server who didn't understand that he had to take responsibility for what he'd done while wielding fire, no matter what the consequences were. It was the right thing to do, the only way he could make it right to those he'd hurt. Those he'd killed. If the price he had to pay for that was the guild knowing what he had done and never letting him go, wasn't that simply proper punishment?

"So? Use that mind of yours, Tibs. Don't let your emotion govern you."

"I am using my mind," he replied petulantly, then looked at the ground. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't use that tone. You're just trying to help me."

Kroseph looked at him and let out a faint chuckle. "And I can't tell if that was you apologizing, or Water. I guess that means you're improving." Doing this at night, and while staying away from those still hoping to find something in their old houses, was to keep them from seeing Tibs's eyes.

It had been his decision, and while his reasoning that he wasn't ready for the guild to think he was at the same level as the others had made sense to him when he'd given it. Now, it sounded as an excuse to avoid being held accountable for his actions.

"There'll be time later to offer help," Kroseph said. "This is just a stroll."

Jackal and Carina had wanted to be involved in the walks, but Kroseph had pointed out that while Jackal had been good about ordering Tibs out of his element, talking with him in that state wasn't something he had an easy time of. And Carina had trouble telling Tibs when enough was enough. She wanted too much for him to understand her reasoning. When channeling Water, Tibs needed a more balanced handling.

He looked at the family again. The eldest son looked to be old enough to work at whatever shop his parents had. He put up a stoic front, but Tibs could see the pain and loss in how he moved. The middle child clung to her mother's hand, looking confused more than anything. She wasn't old enough to understand what had happened. She, most of all, needed the comfort.

But Tibs didn't go to them.

He'd agreed to listen to Kroseph's instruction. To think beyond how he felt, what he wanted to do in the moment. It didn't make sense. Now was what was important. But he'd agreed to listen, so he returned next to Kroseph and ignored the disappointment he felt.