Stepping Up, Chapter 92

Loneliness sucked.

Tibs hadn't expected that.

He threw himself in the work that needed doing, channeling Purity. Once it was dark, he ran the roofs, then broke into a noble's house, then headed to the room to sleep and found it empty.

That... had hurt.

It was his fault, and he accepted that, but the realization he'd expected at least Jackal or Carina to be in their room made him understand how badly he'd hurt his friends.

He tried to ignore the hurt by working and training with Quigly, but he was distracted glancing around, hoping Jackal would show up to cheer him, even jeer him.

They didn't even come to their table to eat their meals.

* * * * *

"How angry is he with me?" Tibs asked Kroseph as the server brought him his meal.

Kroseph looked around, then sat. "He's not angry Tibs. He's hurt."

"I didn't mean to—"

"No, he's hurt," Kroseph said. "After your training, my man decided it was a good idea to go to the pit and Arruh was more than happy to make him regret fighting distracted. He's been healing since."

Now, Tibs felt bad for not considering Jackal might have a reason not to seek him out. "You didn't tell me..."

"He didn't want you to feel like you had to go see him."

"He's my friend, of course I'd have gone to see him."

"Jackal's not always the smartest around, you know that."

"Should I..."

Kroseph patted his arm. "That's for you to decide." Then he left to go back to his work.

Tibs looked at the papers he'd set aside to make space for the plate; they had to be dealt with. Even without channeling Purity, that was what he wanted to do. But, he decided, no matter how angry Jackal was or wasn't with him. If Tibs was in trouble, his friend would come help.

Tibs could push through the discomfort of facing someone he'd hurt to help him.

* * * * *

Tibs closed the door and dropped the satchel by it, then turned to look at Jackal lying on the bed. He looked fine, if Tibs ignored the bandages on his legs, chest, arm, head. Sensing the essence, Tibs saw he had no injuries that put his life in danger, but they were extensive.

"You going to judge silently?" Jackal asked. "Or you're going to tell me how much of an idiot I was?"

"I'm the idiot. I shouldn't have said what I did."

Jackal's chuckle was interrupted by a groan of pain. "The plan was for you to practice overflowing with truth."

"I failed."

"Why didn't you come to me with your problems, Tibs?"

Tibs shrugged. "I told you, I didn't want to burden you with them."

"But why? I can take burdens. I'm pretty fucking strong."

"You're already helping plenty with the fighters. I didn't want to take more time away from you and Kroseph."

The silence stretched.

"Okay, wow, you are right. You're an idiot, Tibs." Jackal looked at him. "Helping you isn't taking anything away from me and my man. You're my friend. Fuck, you're more of a brother than those who were born to my mother. I can be there when you're having hard days without sacrificing what I have with Kro."