Stepping Up, Chapter 43

"You've been given a reprieve not one of you deserves," Harry said in disgust. He stood on the fourth step, which placed him slightly higher than the platform had the last time. "Consider yourself lucky." He looked like saying the words angered him.

The crowd of recruits didn't look impressed; a few even sneered. There had been one and zero groups to arrive in total, everyone in them looking mean, studying their surroundings. Tibs expected at least one person to run, but they hadn't. They followed instructions with silent glares.

"You've already been assigned to your teams, don't bother bitching. No one here cares."

Tibs glared at the guard leader as he edged away from everyone, closer to the mountain. No matter how mean they looked, they were Runners now. The other Runners would care.

"They're going to be replaced as they die, and if I find out, and I will, you had something to do with that death. You're going to experience this dungeon alone, naked." He looked the crowd over, a nasty smile forming. "If you don't know what that means, please test me. You aren't even worth being dungeon food."

Tibs wanted to speak with Sto, and with everyone's attention on Harry, this was the perfect time.

"You might have been taken out of the catacombs you belong in, but this isn't freedom. Now you're going to have to earn what you get by surviving the runs we'll be sending you on."

"Sto?" Tibs said, keeping his voice low despite the distance. He wasn't certain where the dungeon's influence started once away from the steps or the stalls. The previous times he'd been right up against the stone, but now he thought he'd stand out too much there.

"Hi Tibs," Sto answered, sounding cautious. "I have been more reasonable with rooms."

Tibs smiled. "I know. You should hear how amazed the teams are when they return without losing anyone."

"I'm sorry."

"It's..." Tibs couldn't finish it. It wasn't okay. It had been unfair and vicious, and it still hurt. He took a breath. But it was done and over with, and now they had to move past it. "Can you see any of the recruits?"

"Some of them, the first few rows. Harry's really bright. I'd love for him to..." Sto fell silent.

Tibs didn't think on what that was about and reminded himself that even if he was being more reasonable, Sto was still about testing those who went inside. Of course, if Harry stepped in, it would be Sto that was tested.

"These recruits are going to be tougher than the Omegas you're used to, I think."

"I'm not sensing any element from them."

"It's more because of their experience. They're older. Jackal says they weren't caught for picking pockets, but for bigger stuff."

"Like what? Robbing houses?"

Jackal had shaken his head when Tibs had asked the same question, and before he could press, they'd been at the field with Harry looking over everyone and it had felt...wrong to speak.

"What do you want me to do?" Sto asked before Tibs could figure out something to say.

Tibs looked the crowd over. What should Sto do? Was it even his place to dictate anything? He wasn't special, so it shouldn't be. But this was new for the dungeon. New for Tibs too. His street had had nasty people, but as far as he knew, none of them had ever caught a king's attention the way Jackal implied those had. What crime did someone have to commit for a king to be involved?

"I trust your judgment," he finally said, unable to escape the feeling he was giving up.

"I won't let you down, I promise."