Stepping Up, Chapter 68

"Are you sure we can't get closer?" Carina asked.

Tibs sensed ahead and on the roofs for all the people there. He had no idea how many people Sebastian had, but it seemed like they all had to be here.

Tibs had found the dog in the inn this morning when Jackal shrieked and jumped on the bar, pointing at whatever had touched his leg. Tibs had never seen this dog, and he had no idea how Serba had trained it to go to Jackal when she hadn't been near the inn, but it was one of hers. The collar made that clear, as did the message tucked under it.

It's happening today.

So they had pulled anyone they could spare from the patrol, in case it was a diversion, and had taken position to intercept what Sebastian was bringing in.

Now, Tibs wasn't certain they could do it.

"There's people at every road and in the alleys between us and the platform, four thick. There aren't as many archers on the roofs, but there's still too many."

"Then it's got to be important."

Tibs nodded. That was why everyone agreed Sebastian couldn't keep it. But was it worth sacrificing Runners for? Tibs was happy he wasn't the one making that decision. Jackal and Quigly were the ones who'd make it. All Tibs and Carina had to do was wait for the signal, like everyone else.

"I'm going to the roofs to get a view of the platform."

"Is that safe?" she asked. "You said there's a lot of archers."

He rolled his eyes. "They're on my roofs. They aren't going to see me." He was two stories up the wall before she voiced further objections.

They were far enough none of the archers noticed him crawl along the roof until he was behind the chimney. When he checked, he noticed that even though they were on the roofs; they were only looking down at the ground. Typical.

He found a handful of rogues who'd taken position and were scanning the rooftops. Two gave him an acknowledgment signal, and he returned it before moving closer to the platform.

By the time he could see it, in the valley of a roof between two of Sebastian's archers, Tibs knew it was arriving. The essence shifted over the empty platform and people appeared. A lot of people. At least three and zero of them and at least that same number of those guarding the platform taking position by the steps.

Those in the center bent down as those around formed into a mirror of those by the stairs, weapons drawn, lined up on each side. And now he saw the long crate eight of them held between them.

It was as long as two Jackal's height, as broad as three of him. And thick enough, two of them could fit. He sensed it, to have an idea of what was inside, and frowned as what he got was muddled. Blurred as if he was looking at it through many windows, each distorting the image further.

There was Earth in the crate, he could tell that. There was air and water and fire, but he couldn't figure out which had more of, and after that he couldn't tell what the essences were through the distortions.

He watched them walk down and away, waiting for the signal to come and relieved when it didn't. He didn't want his people to die needlessly.

He watched as most of Sebastian's people followed after the crate, trying to work out what could cause essence to be distorted. He sensed Runners follow at a distance. Maybe they'd have get and opening along the way, but Tibs didn't think so. Sebastian wasn't taking a chance with this.

He waited until there were only two archers left, both watching the platform instead of the streets, before crawling back to the edge of the roof. Without the thugs on the streets, getting back to the inn would—