.Pawn to Play.

You know the feeling that you get when you have to give a presentation in front of the whole class. Like someone dunked a whole bucket of ice water on you. Like the walls were caving in on you and your lungs failed to work while your heart worked too much. Like you just wanted the ground to open up and swallow you whole. That's what I was feeling at that moment with everyones eyes trained on me, looking at me like I was some kind of exotic animal from the Caribbean. I swallowed the lump in my throat and tried to concentrate on my breathing.

"Moi tsar" Kirigan started "If you would allow me" he said with is right hand open, palm towards the sky, pointing in my direction

The King grumbled. 

That must have been a 'Yes' because Kirigan started walking towards me. His cat like eyes crept from the marble floor moving up my body finally meeting my eyes. There was noting lustful about his gaze but it still made me uncomfortable. He was challenging me. Trying to find out how similarly our brain works, a new interest I had willingly and immaturely planted in him. He wanted to see how I would react. 

What to do? Make it obvious that I am about to faint from the pressure of it all?

No. I can't, I won't show any weakness. I can't afford to and I sure as hell won't give him the satisfaction of seeing me like that. I don't know these people or how long I will have to stay here. I cannot show them that I'm and easy prey. Kirigan is feared but it is because of this fear that everyone respects him, that even the King won't cross him. That is the kind of respect I want and this is my chance to plant a seed of fear in everyone. To lay the foundation of respect that will follow. Because in this place respect means comfort. To achieve this I will have to be what I have been all my life. Calm, Composed, a cold concrete wall, unfazed by anything. Or anyone. It shouldn't be too hard.

I won't ask for respect I will demand it

I swallowed some air and tried to calm my nerves. I thought of who I am right now and who I want to be in the future, if there is one for me here. My eyes moved through the crowd, watching me with distasteful faces, the soldiers side eyeing me, the tomato red face of King and finally settled on Kirigan walking towards me in slow motion.

That's who I want to be in the future

Everything started moving at normal pace like someone hit a button on the remote. Kirigan was now standing two steps in front of me, at a distance which was universally considered appropriate. I had to tilt my head up to look at him because of the height difference. He gave a small smile, the kind of smile that has no meaning behind it, an empty smile. I tried to give one of my own, trying to seem unfazed by the onlookers. It must have worked because his empty simile turned into a tiny amused one. And as he took a single step towards me, standing in the non-appropriate zone, I thought I heard someone gasp.

"May I ?" he asked holding out his hand

I lifted my hand and stopped. Instead of my hand, I decided to placed my wrist in his hand. holding hands seemed a little improper and I was not comfortable with it. He noticed my hesitation. 

His eyes stayed on my wrist for a second. The silence in the room was jarring. For that single second nothing happened. The fear was beginning to creep in when a burst of white exploded from my skin, my eyes closed on their own accord. After a few seconds I was able to fully open my eyes only to see Kirigan being illuminated in the white light, looking godly. We were standing in a dome of white light.

Beautiful. I thought and smiled. Too soon the white light coming from my skin changed to the darkest charcoal. Darkness was pouring out of my skin, tainting the snow white dome. They did not mix. Did not form grey like black and white should have. Instead they remained separated like water and oil. Swirling around each other forming a beautiful water color pattern. The shadows slowly flowed to the outside of the dome, remaining close to the light like it couldn't keep away from it. The light slowly dissolved into thin ribbons... it looked like lightning.

"ITS THE FOLD" some women shrieked

"SHES CREATED THE FOLD" this time it was a mans voice

The fold. When did it- I stopped myself when I realized what they meant. The dome looked dangerously similar to the fold, identical even, just not as morose. This one had some liveness about it. I pushed down the panic that was about to grow and moved my gaze to Kirigan. He was not looking at me now, instead he was squinting at the fold replica, that I had somehow unknowingly created, with a certain glint in his eyes. A calculating look flowed in his eyes as he moved his gaze across the dome until they finally settled on me. It was the look that I have seen  a number of times from behind the screen.

It was look of a villain who had just found his next Pawn to Play.