.Call For The Shadows.

I couldn't look at him. I just couldn't. His eyes reminded me too much of the ugly past that I so desperately wished to forget. I tore my gaze from him and looked at Alina. Her face was contorted in a mixture of horror and confusion as she met my gaze. Around us, outside the dome, people continued shouting profanities 

"Koshchunstvo"

"Otvratitel'ny".

"She will bring ruin"

"Abominition"

"She will kill us all"

My eyes snapped to Kirigan hoping that he would do something about the snowballing anger of the crowd only to find him the most relaxed I have ever seen him since we set foot in this palace. He looked unbothered, so much so that he was even able to bestow upon me a smirk, a calculated, accomplished, proud smirk. It looked like he couldn't even hear the shouts. It infuriated me. He was not even trying to take control of the situation. 

I snatched my wrist from his hand. He looked surprised and confused as if he couldn't think of a reason as to why I would do something like that. His hand remained in the air, at the very same place where he had previously held my wrist. No sooner my arm made contact with my side,The dome dissolved. The people stopped their yelling for a few seconds awed by the magic and continued again. Their movements reminded me of cartoon characters, easily distracted.

Kirigan did not move even when we were in full view of the audience. The small distanced between us seemed even more minute under the eyes of the people. The skin of my scalp prickled and I could feel sweat ran down my back

I feel uncomfortable I thought just as the king slapped on the arm of his throne silencing the crowd

"What is the meaning of this?"He was not shouting, he even appeared calm. That worried me. I'd rather have him howl profanities in my face than see him like this.

"We want to destroy the fold not create another one. General"

"That is what we are trying to do. Moi Tsar" Kirigan spoke in the most submissive voice that I have ever heard a man speak in, much less a man with as much power as him

"Are you?"

"Yes" he replied earnestly "She has light and shadows and the fold as you know has no trace of the former. Naturally they are meant to repel each other, destroy one another. But it's quite the opposite in Miss. Amhersts case" he explained as he walked slowly, like a professor giving a lecture, and turned to me.

It is so very difficult to read him I thought as his Beautiful face came in view.

"Miss.Amherst, you see, possess opposing abilities. The abilities, if together, would theoretically kill the bearer." He said taking slow steps towards me, his charcoal eyes boring into mine seemed to twinkle as he said the last sentence, particularly the word 'Kill'." But in her case, the shadows seemed to like being in the vicinity of the light" he turned abruptly, facing the king again

"Her light" he corrected himself

"Whatever do you mean?" the King was now sitting on the edge of his seat, as if he would hear whatever Kirigan spoke earlier than anyone else if he did so

With a single nod he walked back to the place between me and Alina. With his back to the King, he ushered Alina to come closer with his left arm. Making me and Alina stand by both his arms.

"Please" he offered his hands to both of us.

I lifted my hand

"Call for the shadows" he whispered before snatching my hand mid-air

I don't know how I manged to do it but as soon as my skin made contact with his, shadows burst out of my skin. My hand, Arms, Face, All of me was covered in charcoal blackness. The shadows were cool as they danced across my skin, making a shiver run down my spine.

In a matter of seconds the whole room was filled with darkness, not even a speck of light to be seen. From my peripheral vision i saw Kirigan take Alinas hand, resulting in a burst of light. I watched as my shadows shrieked away from the light, hissing when they made contact. First a few but then all of then hissed, sizzling away. It felt like they were in pain. The whole room exploded with light when a painful throb took place in my chest. It was not a dull ache but a mind-boggling, throat clenching, flesh tearing pain. A tearful scream made its way to my throat but I couldn't hear it over the ringing in my ears. My knees gave up on me and my body followed becoming one with gravity. I felt the wetness on my face as my back made contact with something soft and the smell of coldness and winter evaded my senses. Through my blurred vision I saw nothing but blackness, maybe my eyes were closed.

Someone was shouting. There was noise everywhere

"Shut up" I tried to say in between the screams

Someone was touching my face. The person was saying something. It all sounded muffled like I was underwater and everyone was telling me to get out.

So much for being a concrete wall