twenty four.

THREE MONTHS EARLIER
THE PLAY.

"I think Lillian was the first person who truly made me confident in myself

"I think Lillian was the first person who truly made me confident in myself. Sure, we didn't really talk that much but the several times we did, she was a great listener, and gave me the best advice." Lexi says as she sits on the stage, placed on a green couch with a brunette girl beside her, wearing a pink wool sweater.

"She was different, when I first saw her. She wasn't like most of the girls here, she carried herself differently." Lexi smiles, the brunette girl next to her writing away in the small yellow journal covered in One Direction stickers.

"She moved here two months before this, and she was lost. I could tell, she had no idea what she was doing. I met her at school after she ran into me. She apologized, so many times." She laughs, the brunette looking up at Lexi and smiling. The brunette pushes herself off the couch, walking over to the dresser and pulling out a dress.

"Lexi, you would look great in this." 'Lillian' smiles, waltzing over to Lexi sat on the couch and placing it on her lap.

"No, I don't think I would." Lexi awkwardly laughs, shaking her head as she runs her fingers over the fabric. Lillian sighs, grabbing Lexi's hand and pulling her up.

"Come on! You're beautiful Lexi, your body is gorgeous. I mean who gives a shit about Hallie? You're beautiful in your own way." Lillian smiles, looking at Lexi with sincerity in her eyes. Lexi nods as she gulps nervously, disappearing into the bathroom to put the dress on.

"See! You look awesome Lexi, honestly." Lillian smiles widely, fixing the straps on the dress so it sits perfectly on Lexi's shoulders. Lexi turns her head, looking at the two empty seats in the front row; a sad look in her eyes.

"Lillian had this large crush on this boy, who was her age. She would always come to me when she was hanging out with Amy or Marta, and just gush about him. He had never talked to her though, and she didn't realize she liked him until I told her." Lexi speaks to the crowd, playing with the hem of the dress as she looks nervously. Lillian sighs, walking to Lexi and pulling her back.

The stage goes black as the crowd goes quiet, the stage hands placing the new set on the stage. Lexi rushes around the corner, grabbing her phone off her small dresser and scrolling through her messages. Leilani nor Fez had texted her back, and her heart was racing.

"Twenty seconds Lexi." Bobbi pops up, dressed in all black as she holds a clip board in her hand. Lexi sniffs as she nods, turning off her phone and setting it back onto the dresser.

"Lillian was a bad bitch when I met her. She would always defend me if someone was saying something, she would help me with anything. She was two years younger than me, yet so much smarter." Lexi walks back on to the stage, now dressed in a black T-shirt with khaki pants, her hands locked behind her back.

Lillian, Allen and Jackson stand in the small house set, yelling at each other. Lexi sighs, looking as the brunette girl cries quietly as her brother lectures her, the best friend standing in the corner.

"She always had problems with her brother. He was overprotective since their parents accident, and did anything he could to protect his sister." Lexi explains as the black-haired man sighs, placing his hand in his hands as he sits on the couch.

"You can't keep doing this shit Lillian." He sighs, looking up at his sister. Lillian sniffs, looking down at her brother and looking at Jackson.

"She was going to rat you out. I had to fucking do something!" Lillian exclaims, throwing her arms around as she paces in the small living room. Jackson raises his eyebrow, looking at the girl and smiling slightly.

"Then I'm proud of you." Jackson pats her shoulder, walking away and disappearing off the stage. Alex scoffs, shaking his head and doing the same.

Lillian walks to the other set, where the bedroom is. Sitting on the white comforter, she places her elbows on her knees and leans into her hands. Her body shakes as she cries, running her hands through her hair as her mascara runs down her face.

"Lillian protected the people she loved. Hallie was going to tell the cops about something Allen had done, and she didn't like that. She beat up Hallie, and then went to jail." Lexi explains, looking solemnly at the girl crying on the bed. The crowd 'aw's as Lillian stands up, turning off her bedroom light and going to bed.

"The next day, her house was raided." Lexi says blankly, the light switching on to Alexa, Lillian, Asher, Franklin, Jackson, and Allen sitting on the couch.

The officers bust through the front door, immediately slamming Lillian and Jackson's body's on the ground, their knees going onto their backs. Lillian cries out, wiggling under the officers knee as her brother walks down the stairs.

"Allen!" The brunette screams, sobs coming out of her mouth as a fake gunshot rings through the air, Allen's body dropping to the ground as officers swarm the house.

"Hey, hey. Everything's gonna be fine." Jackson whispers to her, a soft smile on his face. Lillian nods, tears still streaming down her face as she looks at her brothers stationary body.

"After that day, I don't think Lillian was the same to me. She was different in a sense, like she matured over night. I understand her though, I would do the same." Lexi sighs, making eye contact with Alo in the crowd, the girl having a deep frown on her face as she sits next to Maddy.

"I think the moral of this story is that, Lillian changed my life. Not physically, but mentally. She helped me become a better person." Lexi's eyes drift to the empty seats, a small frown appearing on her face as Leilani and Fez's name cards sit on it. Clearing her throat, Lexi nods to the stage hands, the lights turning off.

"Do you know where Leilani and Fez are?" Lexi asks Ethan, the boy shaking his head with a small crease between his eyebrows. Taking a deep breath, Lexi quickly walks toward her dressing room and looks at her phone once again, a single text message sitting on her screen.

leilani.
iMessages

leilani
im sorry. i'll miss you lex<3

authors note
once again, me stalling to finish this book