thirty one.

JOSEPH'S POV

WHEN I WAS twelve years old, my little sister was killed by a drunk driver

WHEN I WAS twelve years old, my little sister was killed by a drunk driver. We were riding with my mother in her small Nissan, going home from eating at our favorite restaurant down the road from our house.

It was raining. Not like pouring raining but a slight drizzle. And as that rain fell onto the sunroof of my mothers car, a drunk man was speeding in our lane, coming straight toward us.

My sister was in the middle, in the back. We never wore seatbelts, because we never got in a wreck before then. I can remember the exact moment our two cars collided, wrapping my arms around my mothers body as my sisters flew through the windshield.

I can remember the sirens, the blue and red flashing lights, the paramedics shining that small flashlight in my eyes to make sure there was no brain damage. I can remember seeing my sisters lifeless body being carried away in that black bag; a small tag hanging from the end of it.

About a week after that, I met Alex. I met him at the small corner store, where he was caught stealing food and drinks. He told me about how his little sister needed it, because she hadn't eaten in a couple days and was dehydrated. Their parents hadn't been around in a couple days, and he had no idea where they were.

I paid for it with the little money I made from mowing the lawns of the moms in the neighborhood. Since then, Alex and I were inseparable. You saw us together everywhere, doing everything together. And Leilani, she became my little sister.

She reminded me a lot of Abby, she was like the exact same as her. Wild, full of energy, always stealing her brothers guitars and playing all night and all day until her brain came up with a random song she liked.

They were alike in more ways than one, and I think that's why I'm so protective over her.

And as I sit in this uncomfortable ass hospital chair, all I can think about is Abby. Because I know if Abby was still alive, they would have been best friends. Leilani would've loved her, and Abby would've loved Leilani.

I feel such a protective hold over her, like I have to protect her or I'd die. And to be completely honest, I would rather die than to see her die. She doesn't deserve that, I don't think anybody does.

Nobody deserves to see someone they love so much laying in a hospital bed, covered in wires with an IV sticking out of their arm. A breathing tube shoved down their throat and the monitor beeping continuously, never shutting the fuck up.

Ashtray hasn't slept, neither has Alo. I can understand their point of view though, because I haven't either. I'm barely eating, and the only time I'm sleeping is when either Alex or Ashtray are in her room watching over her.

I like Ashtray and Leilani together. I don't know too much about his past, but I know some. They're alike in a way, growing up without parents and being surrounded by violence. They got the bad hand of life, while others got the good one.