37. Choices

It was finally decided that the Jades and Jiang cheng would test Wei ying and confirm based on his actions. Lan zhan was not at all interested in the test part since he strongly believed that this person cannot be his Wei ying, however he had no option to pass this, as his brother would not possibly agree to let him go in search of his soulmate otherwise. Xichen, to be frank, believed that his brother's thoughts were right as always, but he needed proof so that things didn't go wrong. To be careful, all the three had sent men in search of Wei ying or imposters without knowledge of the other two. 

The test began with breakfast. Wei ying was presented with the typical plain medicinal soup like everyone else and he had it without any complaints. When Jiang cheng offered him the sauce container, he refused it politely. Everyone except Xichen and Lan zhan raised their eyebrows at the scene but kept quiet. 

Post breakfast, Jiang cheng asked Wei ying to bring Lan zhan to their hideout so that they could have their post wedding drinks party, for which Wei ying answered "I don't drink" with a cold face. 

"Brother-in-law, can we have your chenqing practice tonight?" Xichen tried a shot. 

"Is that necessary?" Came the reply. 

Wei ying avoided eye contact with Lan zhan while Jiang cheng eyed Lan zhan and Xichen affirming that it seems to be right. 

"Why didn't you carry your suibian?" Jiang cheng was stern. 

"I-ii.."

"Who are you?" Jiang cheng couldn't hold it in. 

"I know you all don't trust me. Wangji wouldn't even look me in the eyes." Wei ying's face showed envy and sadness. 

"To get him back, I thought I should behave in a way he likes. Is that wrong? Just why? You too Jiang cheng?? Wei ying's voice was louder than usual. 

Lan zhan didn't even bat his eyelids, looked uninterested.  

Jiang cheng who almost affirmed that this is not Wei ying, a while ago, didn't know who is who anymore. 

'To be a Lan, he refused spice? Emperor's smile? Chenqing?' 

While his head was muddled with thoughts, all Jiang cheng knew was to comfort his brother, patting his shoulder. 

Xichen who read his baby brother's face, unsheathed his sword and in a blink of an eye it was ready to slash Wei ying's throat. 

While everyone was shocked with the sudden movement, an unexpected thing happened. 

The glimmering black shield appeared pushing Xichen away.

It did not hurt him, but did not allow him to get near Wei ying. The confused faces turned into surprised ones and Wei ying himself was not an exception. He initially was scared and later looked happy. 

Jiang cheng and Xichen now breathed out meaning the issue was resolved. They literally shoved the unmoving Lan zhan to Wei ying's side saying they should spend their time together to make up for the previous night. 

"Isn't our A'xian weird today?" 

After the couples were out of sight, Yanli who had been observing everything since the previous night without asking for an explanation about why Wei ying was sent to her chamber and why they were eyeing each other, finally asked. 

"..."

"Not from the beginning," Jiang cheng sighed. 

At Jingshi

"Lan-"

"It's Lan Wangji for you."

"You don't believe me yet?" 

"I should figure out my heart first."

"Do you have to think about this only after marrying me?"

"I shall arrange a comfortable room for you to stay."

"I am not leaving jingshi"

"You will"

Wei ying's veins almost froze at the look of Lan zhan and he silently complied with the new rule of staying separately. 

Later that day, Wei ying met Jiang cheng and asked him not to disclose Lan zhan's ill treatment to elders as that might cause unwanted problems. Jiang cheng felt pitiful not being a help in his siblings' love life. 

But then he remembered his father's desire to have a banquet at Yunmeng in a week for the couple and felt happy that it could serve as a chance for them to spend time together unlike here in cloud recesses. He delightfully made his way towards the chamber allotted for the Jiang sect to get information on the same. 

Lan zhan's pov

Love is a mess. 

My heart longs for Wei ying. But I hate it when I see him. 

Am I facing an irrational fear of physical contact? I don't know. 

But why do I long for his touch when he is not around. Earlier during the tests I was not convinced that it's him. When my brother unsheathed his sword I knew he was trying to trigger the shield if Wei ying is true. I saw the shield with my very own eyes. Still it bothers me inside. Since there cannot be any other possible explanation, I should try to overcome this fear soon. I cannot hurt Wei ying over and over so I am letting him stay away from me. If we happen to stay together, he cannot restrict himself from getting closer to me like how I used to feel before. I know I am being a mean human, but forgive me Wei ying, we will be together in no time. Give me a little time to mend my poor heart. 

At Hui sect

Madam Lan had traces of tears running down, her face was sickly pale, devoid of any emotions. 

"My daughter" her voice came out tormenting her throat. The guards had finally put her in the same cell as the motionless body but with more security. 

The eyes that were closed, now opened slowly and the guards immediately passed on the news to the officials. 

"Where am I?" Lan yi asked no one in particular. 

"A'yi, look at mother. How do you feel now? I know you will wake up soon. Let's get away from this place. We shouldn't have come here. Let's request that green man to leave us." 

"Madam Lan?!" Lan yi looked bewildered.