Ch. 3 - Everything has Changed

The bathroom was warm and steamy as Gabe dried himself off, staring at himself in the foggy mirror as he did so. The black towel was wrapped around his waist showing off his deep V cut as he combed his hair to try and keep it from being knotted and tangled up.

Gabriel held his chin as he moved his head to the side and back as he tried to decide if he needed a trim. His goatee and mustache were more prominent than his beard that was slowly coming in and he decided to just leave it be. He'd probably look nice with a beard and he didn't mind the feel of having one like some people did.

And he was a little jealous of how nice Zekai's was.

Though he considered himself to be one of those people that could rock a goatee, he was kind of bored of it. Going into junior year he thought the change would be nice.

After the bathroom was steam-free and Gabriel was fully dry, he left it's warm confines, crossing over to his room to change.

The cold night winds kept their apartment cold, though Gabriel didn't mind. Cold can be just as soothing as warmth, sometimes even more. Like cuddling up in a cold blanket on a cold night.

Gabriel could hear the chatting coming from the kitchen and assumed dinner was almost done. It was reminiscent of his high school years when he'd come home after practice to his family already at the table eating dinner.

It left that empty feeling in his stomach. All Gabriel could do was stare at himself in the mirror as he threw on a tank top and sweatpants. An empty stare that said so much to himself, but nothing at the same time.

How can one person know exactly what they're thinking but not at the same time? Gabriel knew how he felt but didn't at the same time.

Spraying on deodorant, Gabe headed for the kitchen and sat in the same spot again. Dom, Aiden, and his mom were in a conversation about classes.

"How's your new job treating you?" Kiara asked as their prior conversation ended. She set the plate of steaks down on the table and Gabe could hear Dom's stomach react with a growl.

"It's alright, better than the last one," Gabe shrugged, taking a plate and utensils from the pile.

"I'm happy you're out of that miserable hellhole they call a restaurant," Kiara said, taking a steak for herself after Aiden and Dom helped themselves. She quickly sliced a third of it off and kept the rest for herself.

His last job was at a run-down Italian restaurant on the other side of town. A simple summer job that he quickly quit after the owners decided to keep tips for themselves. It hadn't started off that bad but after a month and a sudden change in ownership, it was time for him to go.

Gabe took a full one for himself and thanked Kiara for the food. It was nice to eat a meal like this, neither he, Aiden, or Dom could cook this well. Gabe was very good at following the instructions on boxed meals though.

Kiara was an incredible cook thank god. It was nice to have a meal like this instead of something premade that you just needed to add water to.

"Can't say this new place is much better," Gabriel grumbled. "It's going to be hell once everything starts picking up."

"I'd count on it. All of those freshmen excited to have "free" Starbucks are going to waste all of their dining dollars in the first couple weeks," Kiara chuckled, cutting up her steak.

"I always saved mine up and then raided some of the shops for all of their candy and food," Dom cackled. "Sucks not to have one."

"You can afford the stuff anyway," Aiden reminded him.