Ch. 4 - The Story of Us

Pushing through the door opposite of the students leaving the building, Gabriel made his way to the set of lecture halls on the right side of the building. The building was designed so that the traditional larger lecture hall rooms were on the ground floor while some smaller, still large classrooms were on the upper ones.

After finding the right lecture hall, Gabriel made his way through the heavy door that was nothing to him. Gabriel noticed it was nearly empty as he made his way down to the 3rd row from the front and sat 6 seats into the row. This way he could hopefully get out easy but wasn't the asshole who took up the edge of a row right away causing everyone to have to awkwardly shuffle past him.

That and he didn't want to have people's crotches and asses in his face as they scooted past him.

He preferred to be closer to the middle anyway as well as close to the front. They always say professors respected those who sat closer to the front than those at the very back rows. Gabriel thought it was a stupid way to think, but of course, many schools and professors forget that Anxiety is a thing.

Twenty minutes before class starts, Gabriel thought looking down at his watch.

Starting the morning off without coffee was not the plan. After getting to the same coffee shop he worked at, Gabriel was met with long lines which he thought he would manage to get through quickly seeing he had gotten there thirty minutes prior.

Fate had something else in store for him as suddenly people in front of him were letting people cut. It wasn't just one or two, it had to have been at least 10 people cutting in line. Their posture and attitudes made him believe they were freshmen and each of them had cases with what he assumed were instruments which fueled his hatred for Music majors.

His dislike for music majors, specifically music ed, started his freshmen year when the dorm next door to Gabe's and Dom's was filled with two students who didn't seem to know private practice rooms existed. They constantly were playing their instruments throughout the day causing for there to be little to no silence until quiet hours.

Gabriel and Dom both asked them numerous times to use a private practice room as their constant playing made it hard to study. He even knew many of the other residents had asked them to stop, though it seemed to only make them get louder.

Hell, they didn't even need to go to the hall of music as their building had practice rooms in the basement and they seemed insistent on using their dorm room.

Slowly, they built up hatred on the floor. Especially when it was learned they were actually a cis-het man and cis-het women couple who had lied to get a dorm together. Their school actually had dorms assigned for nonbinary people to live in, which they had signed up for.

It was only found out after someone used They/Them pronouns for them and one said "They didn't believe in that nonbinary gender bullshit." It started an all-out war on their floor Gabriel swore.

The final straw was when they told Gabriel to "Go back to his country" to which Gabriel promptly replied that he was born and raised in Illinois. After that the RA finally did something and they weren't seen again.

It was moments like that where Gabriel understood his privilege to go to a liberal college. Many places would just turn a blind eye to racism and/or try to sweep it under the rug.

That's what it was like at his own school, where every time he tried to bring it up with teachers, the principal, and even the school board he was simply told to deal with it. After getting shot down so many times by white people who didn't see it as a problem, Gabriel decided to just get through high school and never look back.