11

Clementine never gave McGonagall an answer. She kind of hoped that if she ignored the headmistress, then maybe the witch would forget. She should have known better; at breakfast one morning Minerva strolled up to her table, staring down her nose at her through her wire-framed glasses.

"I must have missed your owl accepting the room we've provided for you." McGonagall quipped, despite having a look of concern plastered all over her mature features.

Clementine swallowed her mouthful of food and grimaced back at her, "I must have forgotten to tell you my decision. I'm—"

"We've already moved your things, and settled your final month's rent with Madam Rosmerta this morning." McGonagall cut her off, "That way you have nothing to worry about."

"Minerva," Clementine felt her face get hot with annoyance, "You can't make these decisions for me. I'm an adult—"

"This isn't about how grown up you are." McGonagall's words were sharp, "This is about safety. I tried to be lenient with you, but as the headmistress of this school I am not letting you make your own decision about this."

"You said that this isn't a big concern." Clementine whined. She felt like she was being stripped of what little freedom she had left. "That this has nothing to do with us."

"It isn't a concern." McGonagall kept her words short, but Clementine could still see the worry behind her tired eyes. "I hope that's clear."

"Like crystal." Clementine slumped back in her chair, glaring at the headmistress as she walked away.

"Hey, Clem. Have you seen this?" Neville sat down in the empty chair next to her and held up a copy of the morning paper.

"I've already read the Prophet this morning there was nothing interesting in it." Clementine pouted as she stared down at her plate. She was still wallowing in the fact that she couldn't stay in Hogsmeade anymore.

"This is the muggle news." Neville frowned, shoving it on the table in front of her. "From a local Dufftown gazette. You should take a look."

Clementine's eyes adjusted as she scanned the front page. There was a black and white photograph of a beautiful, young woman smiling widely back at her. It was an article about the woman's horrific murder in Dufftown forest. NO LEADS was written in bold in the headline.

"Why are you showing me this?" Clementine looked up at Neville and frowned.

"You're joking, right?" Neville pointed to the girl's photo and tapped on it repeatedly, "You don't see the resemblance?"

"Should I?" Clementine peered back down at the girl's happy expression. The image was rather haunting given the context. She seemed so happy, and all of that was taken away from her far too soon.

"She looks like she could be your sister." Neville looked between the photo and Clementine over and over again. "It's uncanny."

"Just because we have the same complexion and are around the same age doesn't mean anything." Clementine scoffed, shoving the paper away. She found the entire thing to be unsettling, but she wasn't about to let anyone know that.

"I dunno." Neville spoke doubtfully. "Luna reads a lot of muggle true crime novels. This sounds a lot like—"

"Just drop it, alright?" Clementine snapped. She stood up from the table and stormed off. As if she didn't have enough to deal with already, Neville had to go and stress her out even more.

She was suddenly more aware of all the eyes on her. The rest of the staff all thought the same thing. Minerva knew yesterday. That's why she was so insistent that she move back to the castle. It was for her protection.