14

"Thank you all for coming to the first official Happy Herbologists meeting!" Neville's voice rang through the greenhouse.

Clementine rolled her eyes at the name he had come up with. She had tried to talk him out of it, but Neville was convinced it was perfect.

Neville continued, "I'm so excited to have all of you with us today. With Halloween right around the corner, I thought we would start today with something seasonal. You're going to help us speed-grow our pumpkins for the Great Hall!"

A few students whispered to each other excitedly. The pumpkins in the Great Hall were a favorite amongst the students. It helped everyone get into the Hallow's Eve spirit.

"Is this some sort of joke?" Vanessa's voice cut through the room like a knife. Clementine's eyes snapped up to see her standing in the back of the group, looking bored.

"You do know this group is voluntary, Miss Anderson." Clementine shot back at her, "You don't have to be here."

"I thought we would be doing something interesting like grow Devil's Snare." She crossed her arms across her chest, "Growing pumpkins is so easy that even muggles can do it."

"I want you to partner up and we can all get started." Neville ignored Vanessa, something he was prone to do. Clementine wished she had his level of tolerance for student's bullshit, but she always had to say something. "The ingredients for the potions are at each station.

Clementine watched as Lila walked up to a Gryffindor boy, Mason Harris, and she twisted her hair in her hands anxiously, "Hey Mason." Her face turned bright red. "Do you want to work together?"

Vanessa burst out laughing, "You're not really going to say yes to her, are you?"

Mason turned to glare at her, "I can do whatever I want to, Ness. You broke up with me, remember?" His face softened as he turned back to the girl standing in front of him, "Sure, I'll work with you, Lila."

A soft smile formed on Lila's face as she tried to hide the flush on her cheeks. She glanced at Vanessa, fear washing over her face for the briefest of seconds before disappearing as her attention turned back to Mason, "I— We— Yeah."

Clementine felt her heart swell watching young love blossom before her eyes. It was immediately quashed by Vanessa, who was still simmering with anger, watching them as well.

"If he's trying to make me jealous then jokes on him because I could never be jealous of her." She pouted.

Clementine sighed, almost feeling sympathy for the girl. "Vanessa—"

"The last thing I need is you of all people feeling sorry for me, Professor." Vanessa looked at her with disgust before hurrying out of the room.

Clementine deliberated for a moment, groaning as she went to follow her. She watched in the hallway as Vanessa shoved past a surprised looking Cristian. He glanced up at Clementine with a look of bewilderment on his face.

"What was that about?" Cristian asked. He turned back to look at Vanessa who was still stomping her feet down the hallway and drawing attention to herself.

"It's just teenagers being teenagers." Clementine sighed. "They have an added flair for the dramatics."

"Tell me about it." Cristian grunted in agreement, "I've battled trolls, dark wizards and the like, but nothing has ever prepared me for the ferocity of seventeen year old girls."

"You've battled trolls?" Clementine grinned up at him, "Oh, I'd like to see that."

"You'll be lucky you didn't." Cristian rubbed the back of his neck and laughed, "I've really got to get going. I've got a meeting with McGonagall and she's already waiting. Best of luck with the teenagers."