21

Clementine fumbled with the lock on her door, her hands shaking with annoyance and anticipation as she was preparing to confront him. Draco's pale hand stretched out over hers, twisting the knob and shoving open the door to her room letting the scene unfold before them.

Her face flushed at the messy state of her room. She had nearly destroyed the place getting ready for the ball tonight. Makeup and glamour potions littered her counter where she had spent at least an hour, if not more, putting herself together.

Draco found the dress Clementine almost wore thrown haphazardly over the arm of her chair and let the silk fabric fall through his fingers.

"I prefer you in green." His voice poured into her ear like honey. "You should have worn this tonight."

"You knew about Pansy and Neville's little operation." Clementine ignored his flirtation to focus on what she was really upset about. "You knew, and you didn't tell me?"

"It wasn't your information to know." Draco dropped the dress to look at her. "How did you find out anyway?"

"That's not your information to know." She repeated back to him with spite coating every syllable.

"Fine. Don't tell me anything." Draco clenched his jaw and stared out the open door that led to her terrace. The cool night air prickled Clementine's skin. "Pansy will."

"Are you involved in their little drug smuggling operation?" Clementine observed him carefully. She crossed her arms over her chest and frowned. "Is that why Pansy needed to be your date? She needed a way into the castle that would be inconspicuous, and you gave it to her on a silver platter."

"Of course I'm not involved." Draco laughed at the absurdity of her accusation. "I've got enough of my own shit going on, believe me."

"You're complicit." Clementine pointed at him accusingly as she took a step towards him. They were face to face now and the heat between them was palpable on the cold room. "Guilty by association will still get you thrown into Azkaban."

Draco grabbed her hand out of his face and held it tightly within his own as he glowered back at her, "If I am complicit, then so are you at this point."

Clementine swallowed hard, knowing he was right. "They're working with vampires."

"As far as I know it was one vampire, not an entire clan." Draco said back to her as he released her from his grasp.

"So you do know more than you're letting on." Clementine narrowed her gaze at him again.

"We all have our own secrets to bear, Clementine." Draco looked her up and down. "Like you, running off with Theo tonight at the ball. Getting him to ditch his date is a real classy move."

"What is your problem?" Clementine seethed. "I told you I wasn't with Theo tonight and yet you're still furious with me."

"Because I don't believe you." Draco sneered back at her, "You both disappeared tonight at the same time. What am I supposed to think given the history?"

"That's just a coincidence. I have no idea where he went. I told him to stay with Susan." Clementine refused to back down. "You hold everything against me even when I haven't done anything to you."

"You chose Theo that night you left Hogwarts." Draco shifted on his feet, unable to hide the hurt etched on his face. The words poured out of him like a dam that had been holding back water. He'd been thinking about this a long time, and he was finally done holding it back. "I want to move past it... be casual... whatever the fuck it is that you want, but I can't let it go."