19

"I told you this was a horrible idea." Blaise Zabini muttered to the girl clinging to his arm.

"Just shut your pretty little mouth and smile." Clementine said through gritted teeth as she greeted a few students with a warm smile of her own. She waved at Hagrid, complimenting him on the flowers he had weaved into his beard for the special occasion.

The two had arrived at the Yule Ball 'fashionably late' as Blaise liked to call it. The Great Hall had been transformed into a beautiful ballroom. It looked like they were on the inside of a giant ice sculpture with hues of blue and silver glistening and reflecting off of every surface. Snowflakes fell from the enchanted ceiling, disappearing before they hit the tips of their noses. In the front of the room, three giant Christmas trees were fully decorated, and a complete orchestra were performing familiar songs on stage.

"It's beautiful." Clementine marveled at the decorations. She lifted up her hand to touch one of the falling snowflakes. "They've completely outdone themselves this year."

"It's not completely terrible." He agreed. That was high praise coming from Blaise Zabini. Despite his blasé attitude, he seemed quite taken with how beautiful it was.

Clementine glared at him as she loosened her grip on the arm of his suit jacket. "Have you spotted Susan and Theo anywhere yet?"

"That shade of green you're turning doesn't go with your dress." Blaise's eyes drifted down the witch's frame, taking in the floor-length indigo gown she was wearing. It was a form-fitting, scoop-back dress with a slit that went high up the thigh. "You're certainly looking for some attention tonight wearing that."

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Clementine's cheeks flushed pink as she continued to look past the crowd, searching for any signs of the two possibly wizards she had been looking for.

"Look over there at Malfoy and Parkinson." Blaise nodded toward a couple who were already dancing midst the students. He looked back at Clementine with amusement sparkling in his eyes, "This really is just like last time, isn't it?"

Clementine froze as she scanned the crowd. Her eyes landed on the couple towering over the students. Draco was wearing a white suit, a stark contrast from the black ones he regularly wore. His hair was slicked back so it wouldn't fall in his face as it normally did, yet Pansy had still managed to find a single lock to push back into place just as Clementine looked over at them.

She felt her blood boil as she looked at Draco's so-called date. Pansy had on a silver dress that perfectly matched Draco's eyes. The very same silver eyes that immediately found Clementine's in the crowd. His soft pink lips curled into a smirk as he whispered into Pansy's ear. She turned to look over her shoulder at Clementine and grinned wickedly.

They were doing this to her on purpose.

"Oh, fuck!" Clementine threw her hand on Blaise's shoulder and made him rest his hands on her hips, "Come on, Blaise! Help me out here, and dance with me like you mean it."

"You're a lot bossier than I remember." Blaise mused as he pulled her closer. Clementine glanced back over his shoulder to see Draco watching them with an unamused look on his face. "Stop staring at him, Clem. You already know he's watching."

"You're right." She blinked and turned her attention back to her dance partner. "I need to focus."

"Theo and Susan are near the refreshments." Blaise spun Clementine around and she caught a brief glimpse of Theo's emerald green suit. "Don't look. They're already staring this way."

Clementine nodded in understanding and continued to sway with Blaise to the music. She smiled at him and bit back her laughter, "Thank you for this. Genuinely. I owe you one."