18

Clementine walked through life in a haze. Draco's revelation had left her mind reeling all day long. She couldn't work, she couldn't eat. All she could think about is that someone is wanted her dead.

Half of her didn't want to believe it, but the other half already knew it to be true.

Someone was out to get her.

Headmistress McGonagall cleared her throat as she took her spot at the podium to address the students that evening, and the entirety of the Great Hall fell silent.

"I'm sure many of you have heard whispers around the castle that Opal Yates had been found."

The room erupted into murmurs of students all speculating further. McGonagall waited for the commotion to die down before she began speaking again.

"It's true. Opal is alive, and she is being treated at St. Mungo's until further notice. Although the circumstances of her going missing have not been made clear at this time, we are going to start easing back the restrictions for students. The curfews will remain in effect, but extracurriculars will resume as normal."

"Gone missing." Clementine leaned back in her chair and scowled as she muttered under her breath, "The girl was abducted. Fucking kidnapped! There's no need to mince words."

Theo snorted in agreement from his seat next to her. His hand brushed against her own and she felt a jolt of electricity shoot through her. She glanced over at him before hurriedly looking away to avoid direct eye contact.

Clementine couldn't get a grasp on all of the emotions swirling around inside of her. There was plenty of anger for the way that Theo and Draco both left her in the dark; there was the lingering feeling of lust that made her mouth go dry when she caught a glimpse of where her lips had ravished Theo's skin; then there was another more subtle, yet indescribable feeling that made her heart flutter when she thought about it too long.

It was the same way she felt about Draco any time she peered across the long table to see where he was sitting alone, reading a book. Any time she looked at him she was convinced that his lips with twitch upwards into a smirk, despite his eyes never leaving the page.

"What about the Yule Ball?" A boy shouted midst the sea of students.

"The Yule Ball will remain on the schedule for those fourteen and older. As for those under the age of fourteen, the curfews will remain in place."

An excited energy filled the room as witches began to discuss dresses and wizards talked about prospective dates. Clementine was relieved that those days of school dances were behind her. She would gladly sit this one out.

The students began to dismiss themselves, though Clementine remained in her seat. She was lost in thought, mostly about herself, but also worried about Opal and Lila. It wasn't until Theo made a noise beside her that she was pulled back to reality.

"Can we talk?" Theo asked. His eyes flickered between her eyes and her lips as he waited for a response.

"I don't really want to talk to you right now." Clementine kept her eyes trained on the table, carefully examining the wood grain. "If this is your way of asking me to go to the Yule Ball with you, then the answer is no."

"Oh! I— Uh... Well, I already have a date." Theo coughed. His eyes widened as Clementine turned to finally look in his direction. "Susan and I have a standing agreement to go together every year, and since you didn't start here at the beginning of the term I didn't—"

"It's fine, Theo." Clementine clamped her jaw shut as she got up from the table. "It's not like I want to go to a stupid dance anyway. We're not students anymore. It's a work event."