12

Early morning had come again, far too soon for Clementine's liking. She had officially spent her first week living at Hogwarts since she was sixteen, and it was less weird than she thought it would be. She remembered all of the familiar sounds that lulled her to sleep like a lullaby. The sunlight pouring through her window was a warm wake-up call.

It was a Wednesday, Clementine's favorite day out of the work week. All of her classes were in the greenhouse today, meaning that the students were on their own to make sure that their plants were attended to and growing nicely. All Clementine had to do was show up, and sometimes she even chose to forego that responsibility unbeknownst to Neville and McGonagall.

Clementine was early to the Great Hall. One of the perks of living in the castle meant that she could get some of the better breakfast items before they were all gone, but everything tasted bitter like the emotions stewing inside of her.

No amount of beautiful linens and vases full of the finest flowers could make her feel less trapped. Was she even allowed to leave the castle grounds? She had yet to try, assuming that any attempt to leave would be thwarted.

The quiet hush of the early risers was disturbed by the doors of the Great Hall being shoved open. Draco Malfoy stormed in with McGonagall following close behind.

Clementine wished that she could read lips, watching Draco and McGonagall talking angrily back and forth. He pointed in her direction, and both of their gazes snapped to attention. Clementine knew that she had been caught staring and shoved her face so far into the morning paper that it might leave a mark as the ink smudged her nose.

Their arguing ceased, and the quiet hum of talking students resumed in the room. Clementine didn't dare to look up from her paper. She made herself busy pretending that Rita Skeeter's latest article, something about the Scamander family, was the most interesting piece of literature in the world.

"Apple?"

Clementine looked up to see Draco holding out the green fruit in his hand like a serpent offering her temptation in the garden of eden.

"So you're not mad at me anymore?" Clementine observed his pale features doubtfully as she declined the invitation. She watched as he bit into its flesh before settling in to the open chair next to her.

"I've decided that I shouldn't get mad at things that I cannot control." Draco explained coolly. "That includes you."

Clementine felt mesmerized by the way his pale fingers gently held the apple in his hand. Her eyes lifted up to his face to see him watching her with a wry smile on his lips. She cleared her throat before looking away.

"That's rather mature of you, actually." Clementine folded the Prophet in half before smoothing its edges, "Thank you."

"Yeah, it is very mature of me, Clementine. If you want to fuck every eligible man in this castle, then I can't stop you." Draco drawled purposefully before taking another bite. "And I'm completely fine with that. I can put in a good word with Filch for you if you're interested."

Clementine snapped her eyes back up to sneer at him, watching as a cheshire cat grin formed on his face. He was enjoying making her angry, just like he used to.

"You're a prick, you know that?" She huffed as she collected her things in a frenzy. Her hair whipped around her head as she shoved her things back into her bag and hiked it up on her shoulder. "I really can't stand you sometimes."

"Was that too far?" Draco feigned innocence as he stood up with her. He grabbed her book that she had forgotten on the table and followed after her, the smug smile never leaving his face.