Chapter [14]

[Her POV]
»»——⍟——««

'Hey, Mars. I feel like we need to talk. Call me when you get this :)'

I saw the twitter notification and my heart hammered in my chest.

He's definitely starting to get suspicious of why I keep disappearing.

Ugh.

What do I do? What do I do?

I don't want to tell him that I am both Marley and Marceline yet, because I don't honestly know what the relationship between Clay and Marley is.

After that night, we barely saw each other. Let alone talk.

And so, what if it makes things awkward around us once we know who we are?

What if I lose him?

I can't, because I need him more as Marceline than as Marley.

I'd rather have him as a friend than bet and risk everything, trying to get something out of my reach.

I tried to think of an idea to get myself out of this mess. No, something that'll, at the very least, ease some of the suspicions and then it finally hit me.

The classic trying to ditch school lie.

Well, something of the sorts.

I picked up my phone and started typing.

'Hey, Dre! Sorry, I left so abruptly :( I had to talk to my friend. But yes, we can talk. Also, I couldn't answer earlier but yeah, I'll join you guys if you end up inviting Marley. I can't wait to talk to her!!'

As I pressed sent, I could only wish he backs off with this.

Typing bubble comes up but soon goes away.

Which made me more anxious than I already was.

Was it going to work?

The bubble appeared once again and so did the words 'Yes! Ok! I'll try to ask her soon.'

I relaxed and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

But I still had to make sure.

'So, what did you want to talk about?' I asked him

His texting bubble appeared and disappeared again.

'Oh, nothing, lmao. I just wanted to ask if you'd join us when we play with Marley.' His text appeared and I finally relaxed fully.

'Well, got the answer? :)' I sent

'Yup :)' He texted back.

Great! Part one of the plan was working.

Now part two.

Calling Amily and getting her on board.

...

Amily wasn't picking up. So, I decided to post some photos of a trip from last year.

I needed a distraction before I spiralled down the over thinking ladder. 

And the comments were a good distraction.