Chapter [31]

[His POV]
»»——⍟——««

"Yeah- Hi Clay!" She says as she turns around and smiles at me.

I smile back at her. Just a few seconds ago, Patches jumped from her place in the climbing post and started meowing at the door.

I was expecting Marcy, so when Patches became so excited at the door I got confused.

But Marley was here, so that makes sense.

"Hey! What's up??" I ask.

"Oh uh- nothing much- May I come in?" She asks formally. Which kind of weirds me out.

Did something happen?? Why was she being formal all of a sudden??

"Uh- Yeah- Is something wrong?" I ask.

"Oh! Uh Nothing really- Just wanted to hang out" She says as we settle down.

Something is definitely up. Is it because of the kiss?? I thought we were ok?? Fuck. Did I mess up??

"Marley? You are acting really weird. Are you really ok?" I ask again, as Patches comes and settles on her lap. "You aren't even looking at me right now. Did I do something? Is it because of the- you know-"

"No! No- I-" She lets out a breath "I am just nervous."

"About what?"

"About- how you'll react when you know that I am Marceline." She says it so quick that I almost miss it. "Which is now, apparently."

"..." I just stare at her, unable to form words.

Was I hearing this correctly?

"...Uh- what-?" I ask just to make sure I heard that right.

She lifted her hands and gave me a small wave "Hi! I am Marceline! And this is not a prank." She smiles a little.

There's no way.

I became silent again. Words surely leaving me. My mouth wide open.

"...Please- say something- I am sorry I didn't tell you sooner-" she apologized.

NO WAY.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY.

SO, THIS IS WHY MARCY'S VOICE AND EVERYTHING FELT SO FAMILIAR.

And all the little confusion I had over the month started to string together and make sense.

Words were betraying me, so I did what I could to at least give some type of response.

...

[Her POV]
»»——⍟——««

It was a bad idea. A very bad idea. I should have waited for a better time or I should've just kept it to myself and sucked it up. What if he hates me now that he knows that I have been lying to him for so long? And I don't even know how things were between us after that kiss- And what if-

My train of thought cut off when he jumped at me, engulfing me in a hug. I couldn't keep my balance and I fell backwards.

Patches hissed, jumped off the couch and walked away.

My heart was beating fast. Really fast. But this meant that things were going in the good direction, right?

I wrap my arms around him as well, securing it over the back of his neck. Wishing that this meant that things were going to be fine.

"You are an asshole." He finally says. "You are absolutely a big asshole"

I smile a little "Yeah- I know- I am sorry"