Chapter 17

Leila sensed a change in Mia's mood once they had returned from the cemetery. Oftentimes, when Mia visited her mother's grave, she would offer a quick hello to Leila and then retreat to her room, where she remained for hours on end. This time around, Mia seemed content continuing to strike up conversation with Leila. They ate lunch together, and afterwards, they stood side-by-side, cleaning the dishes.

As they did so, an idea came to Leila's mind.

"If you don't have any other plans today, why don't you come to my parents' house for dinner?" Leila suggested. Leila had extended the invite multiple times, and though Mia would decline, Leila still felt guilty leaving Mia by herself in the apartment every week while she went to eat a home-cooked meal at her family's house.

Though Mia was in a better mood than normal after returning from the cemetery, she was quick to decline Leila's invitation.

"No. That's okay. I don't want to intrude," Mia said.

"You're not intruding," Leila assured her. "My mom has told me to ask you multiple times. My family really wants to see you."

Leila turned to glance at Mia, noticing her looking uneasy. Her gaze was down toward the floor, and she shifted side to side.

"I don't know," Mia murmured. "It feels like I'm cutting in to your family time. I'm really okay just staying here by myself."

Leila usually backed down at this point, but she was feeling particularly persistent this afternoon. She locked eyes with Mia and once again stated, "Come on. My mom is going to come drag you there herself at some point."

Leila watched Mia's shoulders sag. "Okay. I'll come," she said at last.

"Yay!" Leila exclaimed. She set the last dish in the dishwasher and closed it. "I'll let my mom know. I think we're just having taco salad tonight if you're okay with that."

"That's fine," Mia answered. "Um, tell your mom thanks for the invite."

"Will do," Leila replied as she marched to her room to grab her phone.

That evening, Mia appeared uneasy in the passenger seat of Leila's car. Leila couldn't figure out why. Sure, it had been several years since the last time Mia had seen Leila's family, but Leila didn't think anyone in her family had changed much besides physically. They used to always welcome Mia with open arms when she and Mia were children. She was sure tonight would be no different.

Once they had arrived, Mia lingered behind Leila as she walked up the wooden porch steps to Leila's childhood home. For a moment, Mia stopped and paused.

"Everything okay?" Leila asked.

"Just having weird déjà vu," Mia replied. She picked up her pace to walk alongside Leila.

Leila herself felt slightly nervous as she went to open the door. She didn't dwindle on the thought long. Instead, she turned the doorknob and almost immediately found herself being greeted face to face with her mother.

"Lei, nice to see you," her mother said, immediately burying Leila in a hug. Leila's mother glanced up, her eyes locking on Mia. "And Mia!" she exclaimed. "Look at you! You're such a beautiful young woman now!"

"Hi Mrs. Sutherland. Nice to see you again," Mia muttered shyly.

"What's with this Mrs. Sutherland nonsense? You just call me Vivian. Come inside, come inside," she said enthusiastically, ushering the two in.

Leila kept close to Mia, not wanting her to feel overwhelmed as they entered into the living room where the rest of the usual dinner guests were sitting and watching a baseball game.