PART 3: Eternal Sun

The grasslands felt unending as they laid stretched out before Mia and Leila on a warm summer afternoon. The fields were painted purple by blooming Northern blazing stars. It was the one time of the year they were able to see the fields vibrant with color.

Coming to the plains preserve was reserved for more special occasions, as it required one of their parents to give them a car ride, but Leila's mom was always happy to oblige so the girls could go out in nature and get some fresh air. Leila suspected though that this was because they didn't come home covered in sand compared to their normal outings to the beach.

"It's hot," Mia said, wiping sweat from her forehead. Her backpack jostled around as they walked along the trail path, no longer as heavy now that they had eaten the sandwiches Mia's mother had packed them.

As they passed bird watchers and other hikers, Mia sensed their confusion about why two ten-year-old girls were out alone on a hike, but she and Leila had grown up on these trails and knew them like the back of their hands.

"Do you want me to take the backpack?" Leila offered.

Mia nodded and passed it to her.

"Ew, it's all sweaty!" Leila complained as she slipped it onto her shoulders.

Mia giggled. "You should've asked to take it earlier then."

Leila sighed and admitted defeat, continuing to walk along the trails with Mia. Past the sea of purple flowers, the two listened to the chirping of birds and caught sight of a few songbirds hidden between branches.

Just ahead, the two noticed a couple bent down in the plains, picking wild blueberries. Leila locked gazes with them and turned away, embarrassed for staring, only for them to call toward her.

"Hey! Have you girls tried wild berries before?" the wife asked.

"No, we haven't!" Mia shouted back.

It had always been a dream of theirs, but often they visited before berry picking was allowed. On the occasions they did visit during berry season, they never had the right tools with them to pick.

"Come over and try some," her husband offered.

Leila shyly stood in place until Mia grabbed her hand and led Leila through the brush to where the couple was harvesting.

"Try some. They're super tasty," the woman said, dropping a few into their hands. "Don't worry. We cleaned a few off."

Leila was reluctant as she held the tiny berries in her hand. They were much smaller than the typical blueberries that Mia's mother baked into fresh muffins. She could only assume the taste was sour and bitter.

Mia, on the other hand, immediately popped the handful of berries into her mouth. She grinned as the sweet taste hit her tongue. It was unlike any blueberry she'd eaten before. She would've gladly eaten the entire bucket if she were able. Mia turned, and, noticing Leila's hesitation, urged her to try some.

"Come on. They're super good," Mia said.

Leila nodded and popped a few in her mouth. She was surprised. They were just as sweet, if not sweeter, than the blueberries her mother would put on top of her pancakes on Saturday mornings.

"Delicious!" Leila exclaimed.

"Thank you," Mia said to the couple. "What are you going to do with all of them?"

"Bake a crumble, I think," the woman answered. "Have a good rest of your day, girls."

The two nodded and thanked them again before continuing on their way. The sun was still beating down on their backs, but the sweet taste of blueberries in their mouths was refreshing. Once they located a tree with some shade, they paused to drink some water.

"It was nice of them to share the berries with us," Leila said.

Mia nodded.

"Maybe your mom can bake something with wild blueberries sometime," Leila suggested.

Mia nodded again, but it was hard to hide the way her heart sunk at the words. "If she's feeling up to it. Some days are better than others."

"Oh. Right," Leila said.

Oftentimes, it was easy for Leila to forget that Mia's mother was ill since she would still have an infectious smile every time Leila visited Mia's house. Sometimes it was easy for Mia to forget as well. Only a few weeks prior, Mia's mother had baked them some cookies to enjoy. Mia had later informed Leila that it had been her mother's first batch since the beginning of the year.

"Hey, let's keep walking," Mia said.

Leila nodded and followed her down the trail once more. The sun was still warm, but the two didn't mind. Out here, it was quiet and peaceful, and while they weren't able to hear the waves of the ocean, the sound of songbirds and the wind rustling through the brush was therapeutic.

As Leila walked quietly alongside Mia, hearing their feet tread the soft ground below, she hoped that this memory would continue forever. Together, as they stood, glancing out over the purple spotted fields, time felt endless.

"Leila, look," Mia said.

Leila turned and stared. The sight they were taking in was breathtaking. The sun was shining perfectly on the blooming flowers, reflecting their purple hue. A few dark butterflies grazed over the flowers. Meanwhile, a colorful songbird came to rest on a branch beside them.

As the two looked forward at the strolling plains, both made a silent wish in their hearts that their time together like this would never end.