Chapter 42

Mia reached slowly for the cup of soup left outside her door. She was surprised that Leila remembered tomato basil was her favorite. Though she had argued she wasn't hungry, she brought the soup into her room and drank it slowly, feeling grateful that after all this time, Leila still cared for her. Strangely enough, Mia slept peacefully that night.

The next day, after Leila had returned from work, Mia was brave enough to converse with her about the break-up after having processed it longer.

"How are you feeling?" Leila had asked.

"Good. Thanks for the soup," Mia replied meekly.

"Oh. Of course," Leila said. The awkwardness still lingered between them, but Mia decided she didn't want it to persist.

"You were right. Julian wasn't good for me," Mia said. "And before you freak out, that wasn't your opinion that influenced me. It was all my own. I thought more about it, and...and I know we were too clingy. The more I got to reconnect with you and explore more of Maine, the more I felt like he was trapping me. I realized...I deserved someone better than him."

Leila smiled. "I'm glad to hear that. How did he take it?"

Mia shuffled awkwardly. "Not very well. He got kicked out of the restaurant we were in."

"Oh my God! Are you okay? Did he hurt you?" Leila asked concernedly.

Mia shook her head. "No. It never progressed that far, and I haven't heard anything from him since."

"You should've told me yesterday! If you feel unsafe, let me know, okay?" Leila asked. 

Mia nodded. "Also...I went back to my drawing class today."

"Oh! How'd it go?" Leila asked.

Mia launched into her spiel about how they'd been excited to see her and even showed Leila some of her sketches from class. In the moment, everything felt peaceful and serene. Mia was surprised how calm she felt. For months she'd felt like she'd been living on the edge with trying to appease Julian and avoiding attachment to Leila and Maine, but ever since the break-up and her decision to remain in Maine, life felt more enjoyable.

"I have to tell you something," Leila had said.

Mia's heart leapt in her chest. She wondered why.

"I'm having a phone screening with the company next week. It's the first step in the interview process. I might not even make it through to the next stage—"

"I'm sure you will," Mia assured her, praying that her disappointment didn't reflect in her facial expression.

"Thanks," Leila said.

Silence lingered between them, and for a moment, Mia wondered if Leila would bring up the confession. They hadn't spoken of it since the night it occurred, but since Mia's comment the other night, she thought...maybe it was time to have a discussion about it. However, she wasn't brave enough to bring it up, and Leila, it seemed, wasn't planning on discussing it either. The conversation ended without either mentioning it.

In the weeks following her break-up with Julian, Mia was surprised how weightless she felt. She no longer had to keep her phone's sound on in case Julian called, there were no needy good night and good morning texts to send, and her days off had suddenly become filled with free time. 

When she wasn't visiting the gravesite or working, Mia was spending time alone with Fuji in the apartment. He had bonded with her over the last few weeks, as if he had sensed that Julian wouldn't be returning. Fuji had let Mia stroke him a few times since the evening of the break-up and would even run around and play when Mia pulled out his favorite string toy.