Seventeen| Stay Numb and Carry On

HARLOW SAT ON HER COUCH as she stared out of her window, hating that it was such a beautiful day

HARLOW SAT ON HER COUCH as she stared out of her window, hating that it was such a beautiful day. The smoke from her cigarette flowing through the screen, wafting her front porch with such a putrid smell.

Four days since she's been released from the hospital, ten days since she got news about Johnny, and today, him and his best friend were being put to their final rest.

Harlow woke, looking around the white room, seeing nothing but equipment and flowers across from her bed. Her head was turned into the direction of soft footsteps, as if the person was scared to make the wrong move.

"Darry." She whispered, holding out her hand as she saw him standing at the door. She couldn't help but notice the few blood spots on his shirt, his blood red eyes and tears that were falling. He looked broken.

Darry slowly walked to her, leaning down and placing a long kiss on her forehead. The man said nothing, just stared at her as he pulled away.

"What's wrong, Dare?"

He shook his head, clearing his throat as he looked back, seeing Pony peaking his head in. "Come in."

The rest of the boys trickled in, all looking the same state as Darry, and she was pleasantly surprised when Pony ran to her bed, crawling in and crying into her chest. She was the last piece of Johnny he had.

"Pone, what's wrong with you guys?" She smoothed his greasy hair down, feeling him shake in her arms. "How're the boys doing? Dallas? Johnny?"

The room felt small and it was like someone took all the air out of it. No one dared to utter a single word, they didn't want to be the ones to say it aloud. She looked to Dawson, who's eyes were red and he was bitting his lip knowing he would tell her the truth any second.

"Someone tell her, dammit!" He cursed, turning around to look at the wall. "Someone tell her, now."

"Tell me what? What the hell is wrong with you's?" She sat up, letting Pony stay on her.

"Dallas died, he was shot by the cops." Darry started with him, looking away from her face as he heard he gasp.

"D-dallas? Why? What did he do? Did anyone tell Johnny?" She looked to Darry who finally was returning her gaze, feeling her heart sink at the next set of words that fell from his mouth.

"Johnny died, bumble bee."

It couldn't be true. Not her pup. Johnny was smart, he was strong, he was a fighter. He wouldn't leave her without seeing her, she knew that.