Five| I Can Play Dirty

HARLOW WAS TALKING TO CUSTOMERS in the far back, the older couple tucked away nice in a cozy booth that held the perfect view of the entire diner

HARLOW WAS TALKING TO CUSTOMERS in the far back, the older couple tucked away nice in a cozy booth that held the perfect view of the entire diner. "Oh, honey, I absolutely love this place, you've done a wonderful job." Nancy, the sweet woman with her brown hair turning grey, smiled widely at the young woman.

"I have to agree, the desserts here are out of this world!" Gordon, her balding husband with a bright smile laughed as he fanned his hands across the space in front of him.

"Why, what encouraging words from the worlds toughest critics." Harlow teased as she picked up their dirty plates. She smiled sweetly at the couple once more as she places the dishes on her tray. "Thank you," she nodded her head "both of you, it means a lot." Nancy waved her off with a slight giggle, watching as Harlow juggled more plates as she cleared more tables as she left.

Harlow was singing softly to the radio as she ran the plates through the dishwasher, jumping when she heard glass shatter outside the kitchen. She quickly turned off the machine and marched out to the dining room while drying her hands on her apron. Harlow could hear an older gentleman yelling while she watched a hysteric Sandy standing behind Kenny, who held his head tall.

Kenny was being yelled at by an older white man and being called disgraceful names. The colored man was too afraid to defend himself because he knew if any authority were to get involved it would end bad for him. Harlow was quick to walk in front of Kenny who stood tall in the center of the dining room, she took a glance at his face and saw the slight curtain of tears sitting in his wonderful green eyes. "Is there a problem?"

"Yes, there is!" The man screamed, throwing his hands high. "I don't want this black man serving me."

"We can get you a new server, no need for the name calling."

"I don't want him near me! He doesn't deserve to lick the dirty off my shoes." He sneered, stepping close to Harlow.

"You're welcome to leave, the door is open." She spoke calmly, stepping to the side to show him the door. "He's not going anywhere."

"You choose this black-" Harlow was now red in the face, she had no room in her heart for ignorant people. Never had, never will. "I choose Kenny. His name is Kenny. If you don't have enough respect to use his name then don't talk about him at all, do you understand me?" She stepped closer to him, rage filling her body as she blocked out the people around her. "He is human, just like you and I. You don't know him, he doesn't know you. He's here to work and earn a living for himself just like the rest of us. If you have a problem with my staff then you are free to leave."

The people in the diner were silent, not daring to speak against her words. Kenny had finally let his tears fall, he was used to people bashing out on him. Most of the time it was when they saw Sandy and Kenny walking the streets holding hands, he tried hard to not let it get to him but people are cruel. "No one will give you business when they find this out."