V: Taking Chances

"I love you, Capricorn." 

Parehong mugto ang aming mga mata sa kakaiyak.

"Do you?" 

Hindi ko kailanman pinagdudahan ang pagmamahal mo sa akin—not even once.

"I do, Cap. I love you so much it hurts. Pretty bad."

"Will you quit the contradiction? Your words and your actions were saying two different things. Ang gusto kong makausap ay 'yung Andrew na nakasama ko sa loob ng limang taon."  

Please stop crushing my heart. Sobrang sakit na. You haven't prepared me for this.

"This is all my fault, Cap. I'm not strong enough."

Please don't say that. You've been my rock for five long years. Ano na ang mangyayari sa akin ngayon? You are my home. And if you abandon me, I'll get lost.

"Had it been so hard? You left me hanging for 2 months. I was anxious, scared... nothing was making sense. Hindi ko alam ang dahilan kung ba't bigla kang nagbago. Why didn't you tell me? Would I have known if I hadn't followed you here?"

"I was selfish. I was stalling on purpose. Hindi ko gustong pakawalan ka, Cap."

Just like that, he dropped the bomb.

"God, you're getting really good at this. Do you think rephrasing the statement won't hurt me as much? You don't want to let me go pero kailangan, tama ba? Just say it, Andrew! Don't lure me to say those words myself because it wouldn't make any difference."

"I have to make a heartbreaking choice. I couldn't choose both, Cap."

"You don't have to. The fact that you've been stalling and leaving me hanging all this time proves that I'm on the losing end."

"Cap, I'll always love you. I'll keep telling you that whenever I get the chance. But I have responsibilities that are far more important than my happiness."

I didn't know that 'I love you' could hurt this much. The more he says it, the more it hurts. It's like a sword pierced into my heart.

"Was it all a lie?"

"No! What we had is real. My love for you is real."

'Had'... so, this is it—a final goodbye.

"Goodbye, Andrew." 

He caught me in a back hug as I turned around. He hugged me tightly, his tears dripping on my sleeve. We stayed like that for a while. No more words—only sobs. When he finally let go, I walked forward and never looked back.

◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇

Nagising si Capricorn na masakit ang ulo. She felt traces of tears when she touched her face. Sigh. Why am I crying in my sleep again? She woke up ahead of her alarm, and she hated it. Her gut tells her that this particular Friday won't be a pleasant day. Then, may bigla siyang naalala... That devil, sana masarap ang tulog niya. She lightly shook her head as she recalled her late-night convo with Nathan.

Nag-aalmusal si Capricorn nang tumawag ang matalik na kaibigang si Selene.

"Hey, love."

"Hey, babe. What are you doing?"

"Having breakfast. Maaga akong nagising kaya nag-almusal na ako dito sa bahay. How about you?"

"I have to start my day early. I have 2 meetings scheduled this morning, both in BGC. Can you join me for lunch? I'm probably done around 1 PM."