Chapter Nineteen

"So, you're telling me that Harry Styles is a demon?" Jace asks.

I pour a bag of pasta into the water boiling on the stovetop and look at Jace over my shoulder. He sits at the kitchen island hunched over his computer screen with his glasses perched high on his nose. For the past twenty minutes, he has flipped through pictures of celebrities searching to see if they have a mark. 

"You tell me. Do you see a mark?"

"It is hidden well in his tattoos, but it's there. That dude seems way too nice to be a demon."

I feign offense, scoffing and placing my hand over my chest. "Pardon you, sir. But I am a very nice demon."

Jace pulls his eyes from the laptop and smiles at me. "That you are. Keep your eyes on the sauce and make sure it doesn't burn to the bottom of the pan."

Not only is Jace scouring the skin of this realm's most famous beings, but he is also overseeing my first attempt to cook him dinner. I don't blame him for questioning my skills in the kitchen; cooking is hard work. Stirring, boiling, simmering, it's difficult to remember it all. Thankfully, my power is handy when it comes to preparing food. 

I twirl my finger and the spoon stirs the red sauce.

"Whoa!" His excited outburst makes me jump. "Snoop Dogg? An angel?" 

I laugh as I wave my hand over the ladle that stirs the noodles. "For real? Wait, I saw a demonic mark on Martha Stewart the other day on her cooking show. It's on her wrist of all places. And they're like, besties." 

"Angels and demons could be friends then?" he asks. 

"I wouldn't have thought so, but I guess. Actually," I say, leaning forward on the counter on my elbows, "That makes me think that maybe Meredith could be an angel." 

His eyes widen. "Wait, Meredith, our neighbor Meredith?" 

"Yeah, I know for a fact I saw a mark on her back a few weeks ago, but I couldn't tell what it was. I figured she had to be a demon because we got along so well, but now that I know this info about Snoop Dogg..."

Jace just shakes his head in astonishment as he gets up to help me set the table. 

"Is Cannon going to be home?" I ask as I reach into the cabinet next to Jace to get out plates. Our hips brush against one another as I rise to my tiptoes, and I try to calm my racing heart at the sudden touch.

"I don't think so. He mentioned something about a date tonight," he says, looking at me out of the corner of his eye as he takes the plates from me. 

"Oh. Really?" I ask. I am not at all surprised to feel absolutely no jealousy in the pit of my stomach. I hope he has a good time. Whereas if Jace had a date...I shake the unwelcome thought from my mind. 

"Yeah, some girl from work?" 

"Good for him," I say earnestly, and Jace's eyes cut to me. 

"You're not upset." It's not a question, but an observation. 

"Not at all. I hope he has a great time. I for one am exactly where I want to be tonight." 

This brings a smile to his face, and the tingles in the pit of my stomach won't be stopped. "Me too." 

Stepping to the sink to wash my hands, I dry them off on a hand towel when one of my rings flies off my finger and rolls under the refrigerator. "Shit!" I drop to my knees to stop it, but it's too late. 

"What happened?" Jace asks, squatting down beside me. 

"My ring...it slipped off my finger and rolled under there."