Chapter Twenty-Nine

I wake to a gentle brush of fingertips against my wrist, and when my eyelids flutter open, I look up at Jace and for two seconds forget where I am before my gaze darts around the cabin of the plane.

"Wake up, princess, we're about to land at JFK."

I sit up straight in my seat and bounce a couple times. "Yeah? Oh my God, I am so excited. I can't wait to see everything. What do we do first?"

He grins and reaches over my waist to make sure my seatbelt is buckled. I try to ignore the pull in my belly and listen as he says, "First, we'll check in to the hotel, get freshened up, and head over to Matt's office to meet with Edmonds. That is, if you want to. I suppose you don't have to go to the actual meeting to sign; you could just come to dinner tonight—"

"No," I interrupt. "I want to come to all of it. I want to be by your side every second." I slide my hand back into his, intertwine our fingers and squeeze. "That's what a supportive girlfriend does, right?"

"I guess so."

I lean back in the seat. "Then that is settled."

After a bumpy landing that has me cutting off circulation to Jace's fingers, we grab our luggage and hail a cab to take us to the hotel. Just like the plane tickets, he didn't spare any expense, booking us a room at a Manhattan boutique hotel. Our room is large with posh furnishings and an enormous bathtub. I have to fight the urge to strip down and dive into it. Instead, I settle for falling back on the bed with my arms spread.

I understood the basics of human living before I came to this realm. Popular traditions, proper etiquette, the things they consider entertaining, but that all paled in comparison to seeing it firsthand. I've absorbed books and movies which gave me a new take on what I thought I knew. I'm currently laying in a bed in a world-renowned city; a place most humans want to visit once in their short lifetime.

"I take it you're pleased with our accommodations," Jace says, removing his suit from its garment bag.

I sit up and watch him, eager to see him in a suit again; the last time was so satisfying. "Yes, it's a beautiful room." My eyes flick to the bathtub and I wiggle my eyebrows. "I want to use that later."

He finishes hanging up his clothes and rests his shoulder against the wall. Crossing his arms over his chest, he asks, "Is that really an invite?"

My cheeks heat—actually, my whole body heats—and I swallow hard before saying, "Well, I—"

Jace's phone interrupts me just before I break the growing tension between us and tell him that of course it was an invite.

"This is Jace. Oh, hey, Matt. Yeah, we just checked in. Mmhmm. Yeah. Oh, early? Sure. Yeah, we'll be right over. Sounds good. Thanks."

Jace hangs up the phone and tosses it onto the sofa in front of the flat screen television. "So, the attorney had something come up and needs to get it done. Matt wants us to come to his office now and we will go to dinner right after. You up for it?"

My eyes widen. "I didn't bring any 'office' attire. Only the cocktail dress I was going to wear to dinner tonight and cute, casual clothes for the rest of the week."

Jace smirks as he pulls his suit back out of the closet and heads into the bathroom.

"What's that face for?"

"Oh, nothing. I was just wondering which one of your little cocktail dresses you brought for the occasion, that's all."

"Jace! I meant I am going to be way overdressed for an office visit!"

He waves me off. "Put on the dress, Desi. You'll be perfect." He slips into the bathroom and shuts the door behind him, giving us both privacy to change clothes.