Chapter Forty-Four

I'm swallowing the devil's claw root pill my mom handed me before we left the throne room, hoping that it works like it had for Jace when he left Infernis the last time he was here, when he finally speaks.

"Um, Desi?"

I look over at Jace as we walk toward the carriages my father had rushed around to the front of the palace. I cling to his hand, scared if I let go he will disappear, and with the other, I fumble with my ridiculous dress, nearly tripping on the train every other step.

I can't explain the feeling of relief I get every time I look over and realize that he's here, with me. When I squeeze his hand and feel his fingers grip mine. That I somehow, miraculously, have a second chance. I don't know how, or what's going to happen next, but I know that I'm happier with him here than I was without.

"Yeah?"

"Where are we going?" he asks as he picks up my train, clearing it from the path of my stilettos.

"Thank you," I say before continuing, "We have to take a portal to Dex's Court. She's who makes all the decisions for both angels and demons. Think of her as the Supreme Court of both Infernis and Pax."

His face pales. "A portal? Oh. Shit, Desi, I almost didn't make it through the last one. The medium from the human realm said I couldn't come back...that I was to remain in Infernis forever."

My heart soars when I realize he doesn't even trip over the word forever. It's like it's second nature to him to be with me in the same place for eternity. Did he really choose this existence...choose me, or was he forced to come here to save us? I'm dizzy with the thought, so I push it aside.

"Going to Dex's Court is different. It's on the edge of the In Between. It's not in any of the three realms. It's neutral. You'll be fine."

A look of relief passes over his face as we approach the carriages. "Oh, thank God."

I grin as I look toward the drivers for guidance. "Which carriage should we take? The one with my parents or my brothers?"

The driver gives me a knowing look. "Neither. Your mother arranged for your own carriage with Mr. Wilder."

Jace and I exchange glances and a thrill runs through me, my cheeks, neck, chest, and the space between my legs all heating at once. I have missed being alone with Jace more than I even realized. I'd have to thank my mother later with a gift card or something.

"How nice," I say with a smirk, and Jace winks at me as we both climb into the carriage.

I settle in next to the far window and watch as Jace steps inside, and instead of sitting on the bench opposite, he sits right next to me, our thighs flush against each other.

"Hi," I whisper, drawing my bottom lip between my teeth.

"Fancy meeting you here," he replies, and one corner of his lips tilts up. 

I swing my knee toward his and bump him playfully. "Now that we have a moment alone, I—"

There are so many things I want to say...do...touch...But I don't know where to start. I suddenly feel shy, and I know that's idiotic, but I can't help it.

I try again. "Now that we're alone, I want to talk about...about what this really means, Jace. You—you came here. For me? You do realize what that means?"

"I know what it means. And I also know that I don't deserve you after the way I treated you." He looks away from me and his lips strain as his tongue swipes over his front teeth. A minute ticks by while he composes himself. Clearing his throat, he gives his attention to me again. "I may not have berated or lifted a hand to you, but I hurt you. I unfairly labeled you the same as my mom and Hannah when you did nothing to prove you are like them. I refused to listen when you made your feelings for me clear, and I allowed my fear to rule me. I'm so sorry for the way I treated you. And I understand if you need space and time to figure out how I fit into your life." He shrugs. "I now have all the time in the world to wait for you, Desideria."