Chapter Thirty-Three

"Angelo. It is nice to finally meet you," I say.

"I wish it were under better circumstances."

Jace and I exchange a look and when no one says anything right away, I blurt, "Is anyone going to explain? What the hell is going on?"

Dad gives Angelo an apologetic look and shifts his gaze to me. "Desideria, please—"

I chew the inside of my cheek and my face heats in embarrassment. "My apologies. But could someone please let me in the loop?"

Angelo leans forward and clasps his hands on the table. At this proximity, I can see that his pupils are dilated, and it is obvious he is stoned out of his mind. Despite my curiosity about whatever is going on here, I am absolutely floored; the leader of Pax is not at all what I expected.

"I'll keep it short and to the point. I have a rogue angel loose in your realm."

My eyebrow dips and I glance at Jace who asks the question before I have the chance.

"So? From what Desi explained to me, the angels don't mean anyone any harm and you all don't even really fight each other beyond the friendly rivalry the two of you have? Why does this affect Desi?"

Angelo's cheeks burn bright red, and it is not from getting too much sun. Like a child caught eating candy before dinner, he shrugs a shoulder. "I learned that Desi was here looking for a husband. I thought I would make matters hard on her and throw a little kink in Chaos' plan. It turns out the angel I assigned to have some fun with you," he smiles, like that will calm the fury boiling inside me, "hasn't checked in for almost two weeks. I have it on good authority that my little winged problem child doesn't plan on returning to Pax. I'm not sure what the angel's plan is, but I wouldn't put it past the sneaky cherub to use you as bait, Desi."

I open my mouth to speak but Jace, again, beats me to it. I can feel his anger rippling through him, his fingers squeezing mine almost too tightly. "Bait? Are you telling me this asshole is going to hurt her? Over my dead fucking body!"

Something inside my chest swells at the burst of protectiveness that's just erupted from him, but I'm too upset to revel in it for long. And the sinking feeling from before is only getting worse. "Are you saying I'm in danger?"

"He is," my father says. "I know I promised you three months to get everything situated with an Eternal Partner, but you need to come home."

"What?" I choke out, tears springing to my eyes unbidden.

I'm supposed to have three more weeks with Jace. All those days we were going to spend together. Every moment exploring each other's bodies, remembering every little detail about what makes him laugh, him teasing me about all the human things I'm still clueless about...the attempt to make up for all the time we'll never have.

If I leave now, all of that is gone.

"Dad, please, I can't leave yet—" I beg, glancing at Jace, feeling panic rise to my chest when I see the same look of devastation in his eyes.

"I understand this is unexpected, Desideria, but I can't risk losing you. The only place you are safe from this angel is at home."

"But Jace has things going on with his business. He just signed a new deal." I'm so careful with my words. I don't want to lie to my family any more than I already have, so I stick with the truth and let them fill in the blanks how they wish.

My father's green eyes soak in me and Jace, and he releases a long sigh. "I'll give you three days to tie up any loose ends. I don't want you leaving Jace's sight during that time. Limited trips out of the house, don't invite strangers over, and you summon me at the first sign of trouble. Do you understand me?"