Epilogue

ONE YEAR LATER

Being the queen of energies that thrive on sloth is one thing but designing an entire circle of Infernis is another. Entertainment, housing, and places to be... well, sloth-like are hard concepts to come up with. Thankfully, I'm not on my own, and my very unsloth-like eternal partner is amazing at designing our little piece of forever.

Everything from the dark caves where some choose to live to the ice cream shops with hammock swings in the center for naps, even the lazy river that winds through my circle came from the amazing imagination of Jace. He not only excels at fashioning ideal spaces for lazy energies, but he is incredible at leading them as well.

We spent all morning listening to the demons who help us run our circle. They brought to us concerns and suggestions to ensure the energies in our keep are happy. Jace gave his undivided attention to the task, jotting down solutions as they spoke, but I couldn't stop thinking about this moment. Jace has spent months working on a secret project, and no matter how much I batted my eyelashes or what dirty sexual promises I made he would not break. He insisted I wait until he was ready to reveal his project to me.

I fidget with the scarf Jace tied over my eyes as he races down the road in his demon-made sports car.

"Don't you dare peek, Desideria," he chides, but I catch the playfulness in his demand.

"I'm not going to peek, Daddy," I tease, reaching over to squeeze what I think is his thigh.

"Keep it up and I'll pull this car over and show you just how Daddy I can be." I open my mouth and he places his hand over it. "And before you say that is fine with you, just know your ass will be red when I'm done. I suggest you opt for the surprise over the spanking."

I lick his palm and laugh when he squeezes my cheeks. "Fine. But only because I really want to know what the surprise is. Just so you know, though, I might try to earn a spanking later anyway. How about that?"

He chuckles, the sound brushing over my skin like an aphrodisiac. "I wouldn't expect any less from you."

I contain my overwhelming desire to angle my head just right and peer through the bottom of the blindfold. My mind is racing with guesses of what awaits me. I try to calm it by humming along to the songs on the radio and playing with Jace's fingers on the gearshift, but nothing helps. It isn't until we come to a stop and Jace cuts the engine that my curiosity is replaced with heart-pounding anticipation.

Jace helps me out of the car and leads me by the hand. Our steps click on stone before my ears perk at the sound of metallic jingling. A door creaks open and Jace moves in behind me. He wraps his arms around my waist and rests his chin on my shoulder.

"I know you say you don't dread the commute from your parents' place to here, but I thought it was time we had somewhere to call our own."

Warmth rushes through me and my fingers tremble as I remove the blindfold. My eyes go wide and a gasp slips through my lips. In pure awe, I take a step forward and look around the house—Jace's house—our home. Everything is here. From the kitchen island to the large screen television connected to a game console, it is all the same.

For a moment, I can't even speak. I open and close my mouth a few times, but no words come out, so instead, I kick my shoes off and push them under the bench. Even though there's a grin on my face, there are tears stinging my eyes when I look up at Jace.

"Jace, this...this is perfect. It's—It's our house," I whisper as I step to him and slide my arms around his waist. "You rebuilt it."

"I did, and your dad and a dozen demons helped me bring everything from the house here. Plus, going back gave me a chance to tie up some loose ends. I turned my share of the business over to Edmonds and suggested to Matt a handful of designers who could take my place." He tips my chin up and looks into my eyes. "You know, the reason I put the ad out for a roommate wasn't so much to take the financial pressure off me as I started the business. I was tired of being alone and haunted by thoughts of Hannah and my accident. I wanted to make new memories in that house and for it to feel like my home again. The moment you stepped foot inside, everything changed. I laughed more, opened myself up to new friendships, and desired more than just a successful business. My house was filled with love and happiness because of you."

A whimper escapes my throat as I push him gently back against the island countertop and stand on my tiptoes, pressing my lips to his. "Jace Wilder, before I met you, I had this warped, black and white image of who I was. I thought I was organized, practical, calm, cool, and collected—the only sliver of structure in my realm. But with you, I trusted myself enough to let go and accept who I really am—a bit of a contradiction." I smile and slide my hands up his chest, wrapping my arms around his neck. "For over 100 years, I wasn't myself. Not until you showed me how."

"It sounds like you found your home too."

"I did."

I stand on my tiptoes and press my lips to his. It doesn't matter if it is this realm or another, this house or a castle. Wherever Jace is, I know I'm safe to be myself and loved. He is the place where my heart finds joy.

With bright smiles, we pull away from each other, and I turn to the cabinets.

"Shall we christen the house with a bowl of peanut butter puffs?" My words fall flat as I open the door and find all the cups turned upside down. I look back at Jace who leans against the counter with his arms crossed. "You put the cups in the right way."

He snickers and shakes his head. "I put them in the wrong way because I'm ready to give up a little control and surrender to the chaos."

I close the cabinet and saunter over to him. "In that case, let me take you to our room, Jace Wilder."

"I'm forever at your mercy, little hurricane."