Chapter Twenty-Three

I wake up early on Sunday morning—a travesty to say the least—and instead of rolling over to go back to sleep, I decide to throw on a sports bra, spandex shorts, and my Nikes and venture down to a place I've never once stepped foot in: Jace's home gym.

When I walk through the door, I'm automatically overwhelmed by all the weights and machines, so I just go to one of the only things I know how to use. Turning on the treadmill to a low speed, I begin walking, and I don't even bother to turn on any music. The thoughts swirling around in my head are enough to keep me occupied.

Being with Cannon the other night was fun, and I even felt a few flutters in my belly at times. Fireworks, no. But the butterflies were a welcome sensation.

But the things Jace said to me the last time we were together still sting, and I can't seem to get them out of my mind. They not only hurt me, but it almost hurts more to think about how Jace must feel because of the shit Hannah put him through.

It's all so much, and I need to get a handle on it because like it or not, I only have a little bit of time left before I have to go home—with an eternal partner in tow. And I've heard people say they like to work out to take their mind off their problems. But as I trudge along on the treadmill, I don't quite understand what they mean.

"Are you planning on taking a nap on that thing?"

I whip my head in the direction of the question and find Jace. He wears an old t-shirt with the arms ripped off and a baseball cap turned backward. The defined muscles in his biceps are on full display with his arms crossed over his chest. He gives me a cocky smile from his place propped against the room's entry. With all that boyish charm, I almost forget about the words he said when he thought I was asleep.

"I'm working out," I say as I turn my head back toward the front of the treadmill. "Woke up too early and thought I'd just come down and see what all the fuss was about."

Jace pushes off the wall and steps into the room. He strolls over to the treadmill and looks down at the display. I'm on speed one, incline zero. He shakes his head and laughs. It's that fucking laugh that makes me feel all molten inside, like I might melt right here and drip off his exercise equipment. "I've seen snails move faster than you."

It may not seem like a lot to him, but I'm working up a light sheen of perspiration at my hairline.

My eyebrows dip and I shut off the treadmill, stepping off it and wiping the sweat from my forehead. "Sorry we can't all be Captain America in perfect shape with rippling muscles," I say with a sarcastic edge to my tone before moving to walk around him toward the door.

He grabs my wrist and twirls me around. "Hey. I'm just playing with you. What's gotten into you?"

I sigh and cock my head to the side as I met his eyes. "I'm sorry. I'm just a little stressed, that's all. I didn't mean to snap at you."

"And what about avoiding me?"

My heart skips a beat. "I'm not avoiding you. I've just been a little busy. But you haven't exactly went out of your way to talk to me either."

"You're right. I've been working with Matt to tweak Edmonds' sign-on proposal." He pauses and his brows knit together. "If you're sorry for snapping at me, why are you still doing it? What am I missing here, Desi?"

I drop down onto the weight bench behind me and put my head in my hands for a moment before meeting his stormy gaze. "Jace, I—you want the truth?" When he nods, I continue, and my voice is softer, with none of the bite from before. Now, all the emotions from the past few days are welling in my eyes and in the back of my throat. "The other night, when you were laying in my bed with me, you hurt my feelings. And the idea of talking to you over the last few days has been more than a little painful."