Chapter Thirty-Two

"I told you it was going to be cold by the bay," Jace says as he turns to me and slides the ticket for the ferry into the front pocket of my jeans. I can't take it because my hands are currently shoved into the sleeves of my windbreaker.

"I know, but the wind is frigid!" I say through chattering teeth as he wraps his arm around me and leads me into the throng of tourists boarding the boat that will take us to the Statue of Liberty, the first stop on our tour of slightly cliché but necessary attractions of New York City. Of all the things on the list, this is the one I'm the most excited to see.

We step onto the ferry and instead of leading me to one of the benches under the protective awning, Jace and I keep walking until we reach the far end of the boat. I place my hands on the railing and he cages me in with his arms on either side of me. I savor the warmth radiating from his body, letting every muscled inch of him chase away the chill.

The Statue of Liberty sits in the middle of New York Bay. It's sunny today, and the rays are reflecting off the water, the sparkling effect making it look much warmer than it is. But the statue sitting in the distance makes this cold air worth it, and even more so, so does the man behind me.

"This is beautiful," I murmur, my eyes scanning the horizon, my hair whipping across my face in the mid-morning wind.

He doesn't answer me right away, and I glance up to find him studying my face. "What are you doing?" I ask.

"I've seen the statue before, but I've never seen you so captivated with something. You're breathtaking."

I'm sure I'm a mess of windblown curls and reddened cheeks. But I feel beautiful under his gaze.

I turn all the way around to face him and brush my hair from my eyes, but it's stubborn and keeps flying back across my face. "You say the nicest things to me, you know that?" I giggle and when he cocks his head to the side, I say, "I was just thinking about how we used to be such assholes to each other all the time."

His arms slink around my waist, pulling me close. "I kind of think you like my asshole side. It can always make an appearance again if you'd like?"

I raise my brows and press myself flush against him. "I do, actually. I think it's sexy when you're all dominant and tough. What about you? Did you like my bitchy side, Wilder?"

"No." He tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. "I thoroughly enjoy your sweet and sexually needy sides."

My heart melts and I run my fingertip down the center of his chest. "Oh yeah? It just so happens that I'm feeling a little bit sexually needy right now," I whisper, looking up at him through my lashes, raising up onto my tiptoes to kiss him on the soft spot behind his ear. I take my time going back down onto my feet, brushing my pelvis against the rapidly hardening bulge behind his zipper.

"Be careful, little hurricane. If you keep teasing me like that, I guarantee you I will do inexplicable things to you right here and we will spend tonight touring one of the NYC jails." Emphasizing his point, he presses his growing cock against my pelvis.

A strangled whimper escapes my lips, and he smothers it with a kiss. When he finally pulls back, I whisper, "What, we can't have sex in public here? Back home, everyone just does it wherever they want."

He laughs. It's a hearty sound that brings a smile to my face. "Sounds about right for a chaotic realm. Humans call sex in public 'indecent exposure and lewd acts.' They land us in jail with a hefty fine." He looks around the ferry and back at me. "I'd be damned if I'd let any of these people see you naked."

I look him up and down and slide my hand around to grab his ass as I turn back toward the railing. I lean back against him and say, "I found another side of you I really like: your possessive side."