Chapter 19 | Protector 🍈

You return to Tanjirou who is standing with his feet in the water. His back is facing the hashiras but his eyes are watching something until he sees you coming.
A smile appears on his face.
He looks a bit lonely without his friends who are currently eating barbeque again.

"The box...why are you watching it?" you ask him.

His smile drops.
"It's important to me."

He doesn't show any regret when responding so you believe him.

"There's a demon inside?" you go on with questioning.

Tanjirou's eyes grow wide for a moment.
"I shouldn't be surprised that someone like you notices that."

"I don't judge you for it. No worries."

He smiles at you.
"Thank you. Did you smell her?" he wants to know.

What?

"Eh....no. I felt it. It's like a humming in the ground that leads from my feet to the box" you explain.

"Oh okay. I usually smell demons that's why I asked."

'Didn't know about that' you think.

Suddenly the voices behind you get louder. Tanjirou and you turn around and see Haganezuka-san greeting the crowd. You can see that the three girls returned to the hashiras and Haganezuka-san just nods at them instead of clapping on their shoulders like he did to the rest. This makes you smile.
After he greeted everyone he grabs a plate with food and instantly walks in your direction. You thought he didn't see you.

"Haganezuka-san!" Tanjirou shouts in excitement.

The smith nods at him, the mask covering his emotions.
"Let's go to the landing stage over there" Haganezuka-san tells you ignoring Tanjirou.

"Okay" you say and follow the smith to the end of the landing stage a few meters away.
Both of you sit down at the end so your feet touch the cool water.
Haganezuka-san shoves his mask up and starts eating. You are one of the few people who may see the smith's face which you are proud of.

You sit in silence playing with the water. The smell of the potatoes accompanys you.

"I've got your swords with me" he muffles.

"I was wondering where they are. Every participant got his sword taken away. Why so?" you ask.

"Because all of you are agressive and the hashiras wanted to make sure that nobody attacks someone here."

You giggle while the smith gives you your weapons and the belt for them. You instantly put them over your Haori even though you aren't in uniform.

"You sharpened the new blade extremely fast. I am impressed like always. Sometimes you are a better client than the hashiras."

"Thank you."

Haganezuka-san stares at you for a while. You have to admit that he's very very good-looking. What a shame he always wears his mask.
"What's on your mind? You're rather calm today. Shouldn't you be super happy to be the winner?" he asks.

You sigh.
"I hate how you always know when I am acting slightly different."

"I can't remember a time without you" he answers smiling.

He's right. You know him since you were very young because he often visited Yoshiwara. Not only because he was a client but also because of the atmosphere and you. After the incident you then met him again as your smith which brought you even closer. When you were nearly dying of hunger he was the one always finding you in the forests and letting you sleep at his place. Sometimes you lived with him for weeks but that's a secret between the two of you.

"I just got an information that shocked me" you give in.

"And what is it?"

You're turning red knowing how it sounds.
"Did you know that Makio, Suma and Hina all have a friendship with benefits with Tengen-sama? Is this even allowed? They're not his students after all."

To your surprise Haganezuka-san doesn't make weird suspicions or comments.
"I didn't know it but I suspected it. There were several times years ago when I came to him and found at least one of them in his mansion. Oyakata-sama didn't say anything regarding this anytime so I guess it's okay."
While answering he looks at you with sad eyes.

You nod.
"You know what. I don't wanna be here any longer. I'm still exhausted from the competition and if I am unlucky I will get a mission for later this night" you say standing up.

"Wait I will accompany you!" the smith sets.

He rises and walks besides you on the warm sand. The weight of your weapons pushes you deeper in it but you welcome it. Without them you feel more naked than without clothes.

As you are at the fire where all the others sit you eye the women that talk lively and try to ignore Tengen-sama's staring.

You are just about to say goodbye as Shinazugawa-san suddenly shouts: "Hey you! I want an appointment! Now!"

You look at him.
What?
His cheeks are red. Obviously not because he is ashamed but drunk.
When did they get alcohol?

"What?" you repeat.

"I WANT AN APPOINTMENT!!! DIDN'T YOU HEAR ME?" he yells.

You look at Haganezuka-san but forgot that his mask is there again.
It's dead silent. Everyone looks at you and the wind hashira.

"What do you want from me?!" you repeat louder now.

The wind hashira jumps on his feet.
"You're a whore! What kind of appointment would I want then? I thought it's just a cliche that whores are dumb but you really are."

You're shocked.
How does he know about that? You made sure that nobody knew except from Haganezuka-san. Did he? No, he wouldn't.

"If you want a whore then go to a cathouse" you answer plain.

"WHY SHOULD I GO THERE WHEN I CAN ALSO ASK YOU?!"

"Who gave you the permission to ask me?" you shout.
You're getting upset. Really upset.

"I HAVE MONEY TO PAY YOU AND YOU DO YOUR JOB. LOOK AT YOUR BIKINI, YOU'RE ASKING FOR IT. WHERE'S THE PROBLEM!?" he yells louder than before.

You look down on you to see that your Haori didn't cover your body completely the whole time.

"The problem is that she already has an appointment tonight" another male voice states.

You look at the owner and see Tengen-sama standing straight next to Shinazugawa-san staring him down.

Your cheeks glow red.
This is all so humiliating and embarrassing!!!

Tengen-sama steps besides you and says: "Thank you for the entertaining day. We won't see each other for a while so stay alive. Goodbye."

You nod at the growd before Tengen-sama pulls you with him away from the demon slayers into the forest. Shinazugawa-san yells something but you can't hear it. Your heartbeat is too loud.