5

cw: language, breakdown, toxic relationship, abusive behavior, unfiltered anger, mentions of abuse, manipulative behavior, death threat, denial, mention of abandonment, improper relationship, mention of sex, cheating

Feigning—

Kush and Munchie were once again in the auditorium before school, Kush thinking it was the best way to start his Friday.

They sat together on the back row as they talked casually. Just as he'd suggested, she slipped another note in his locker because she needed a break from her reality.

"I wish I could live the way you do. No worries or heavy responsibilities. You get to be a kid," she said, taking a bite of the pop tart he'd given her.

He'd forgotten about his promise to bring candy, but he also had no idea when she'd ask to meet again, so she couldn't really blame him for not being prepared.

He nodded. "True shit. I ain't never had too much to worry about. My pops died for me to be able to live like this. I just wish he could be here living it with me."

"He'd be so proud of who you are now, though," she assured.

He scoffed and shook his head. "Nah. He'd be mad disappointed in me. I don't always respect my elders, and I hate to ruin whatever fantasy you might have of me as a person, or whatever, but-"

"Don't," she said quickly. She shook her head, "Please... Don't ruin how I see you. Not right now. I need you to stay the way you are."

"Munchie, what's going on?" he asked.

She shook her head. "I can't..."

"C'mere."

She leaned over to him, breaking down the moment he touched her.

He rubbed her back. "We can talk about something else. Think about something that makes you happy like candy or your boyfriend-"

"I hate him!" she sobbed.

"Oh, shit. Okay, relax... Fuck that nigga. What's your favorite candy so I know what to bring if you come back?"

She held his hoodie tightly in her fists. "I wish he was like you again. I don't know what I did to make him stop," she sobbed.

"Munchie, you don't know too much about me. This only our second time meeting. I don't know what he doing, but I might be same way."

She sat up from his chest and wiped her tears. "You told me I'm s'posed to be with you. Did you mean that, or was it just bullshit flirting?"

He licked his lips silently, averting his eyes before meeting her gaze again.

"Wow," she scoffed. "I actually thought that if I could find a way out you'd be waiting for me. I mean, I wasn't thinking we'd get together instantly, but-" She sighed, "Fuck it."

She got up to leave, but he quickly stood to stop her.

"Hold on, Munchie. Yeah, I was just flirting when we met the first time, but that don't mean I don't like you. I just don't usually fuck with girls that got boyfriends 'cause I'm impatient as fuck. I want you now, I ain't try'n'a wait til you done with him. And you just said you hate him, so where you going?"

The door opened as a boy entered quietly.

Kush laced his fingers through Munchie's, lifting their hands to kiss hers. "So you gone fuck with a nigga, or what?"

She stared at him, almost frightened by her own thoughts. I don't know if he really want me to be his or I'm just go'n be one of his hoes, but damn, I wanna believe him! "Kush, I-"