26

cw: language, fuckboy behavior

Still That Nigga-

When Sojourner asked to drive his car, Malakai returned an unwavering, "Hard hell the fuck no."

"Kai, come on," she whined.

"Got me fucked up. You not putting me in the backseat in my own shit," he scoffed.

So they took her car instead.

It wasn't until they were arriving at his school that Kush realized he would've had to call ahead of time if he wanted all of his work to be collected in the office for him.

He looked over at SoJay, "Just pull in the parking lot, I basically gotta walk the whole campus to get all my stuff. This go'n take a minute."

"Be careful," she responded.

"I will."

He pulled his ski mask over his face and put his hood on before making his way inside the building. Just like SoJay had suggested, he rolled it back up once he was inside.

He got a visitor's pass and went to his second period first, then poked his head in the doorway. "Hey, Ms. Nelson."

She and most of the students turned to look at him. Clearly, they'd all seen the video considering how loud the room got when he walked inside.

But what surprised him the most were the tears in his teacher's eyes as she rush over to hug him tightly.

"You 'bout gave me a heart attack," she huffed in relief.

"I'm straight," he assured, returning the hug. "But I'm not coming back to school right now. I just came to get the work I been missing and whatever else I'm go'n miss, so I don't fail."

She nodded and wiped her face, going back over to her desk to pull out the folder of makeup work she'd been putting aside for him. She placed his work for the rest of the week in it, too, then gave it to him with another tight hug before finally letting him go.

"I'll email you the lecture videos. Take care of yourself, Kush," she said seriously.

"Yes, ma'am," he returned, waving shortly as he left.

His other three teachers all reacted some version of the same way — he definitely wasn't expecting to get so many hugs.

Once he'd collected his work from his final class, he decided to go back to his locker and clean it out, since he wouldn't be back to school any time soon.

He slowed down, seeing the flowers and lightbulb candles on the floor in front of it before anything. There was a shrine for him in front of his locker.

All of this was starting to get a bit annoying now. It had never once been confirmed that he was dead. There was no police or hospital report to pronounce him dead, everyone had just assumed he was since he hadn't been back to school for two weeks now, and that video came out with no context as to when it actually happened.

He shook his head and squatted in front of it. He heard footsteps approaching him. "Aye, you got a marker?" he asked before even looking to find a face.

The girl froze, dropping the flowers she'd been carrying to cover her mouth as tears flooded her eyes.

"Oh, I wasn't s'posed to talk to you, was I?" he remembered, standing from the shrine.

He'd genuinely kept his promise not to speak a word to Lauren since the day he'd walked her to class, so he definitely wasn't expecting her to break down crying over him.