18

cw: language, school shooting, guns, police violence, gang affiliation, unfiltered anger, mention of child abuse, mention of child neglect, mention of child abandonment

Shots-Fired-

The next morning, Kush woke up to a frantic stream of texts from his younger sister.

'KUSH!!'

'TEXT ME BACK'

'PLEASE'

'911'

He groaned at the repeated buzz of his phone before checking it. "Shit," he muttered, quickly texting her back to see what was wrong.

'Somebody's on my campus'

'They have a gun'

'I'm scared'

"Fuck," he cursed, throwing the comforter off to get up. He texted his sister to stay hidden, even if it meant she was behind someone else, then instantly called Leo.

Of course, his best friend didn't answer because he was in class, but that didn't stop Kush from calling again and again as he went to take Snoh's keys.

"Where you going?" she immediately asked.

"Ry said somebody on her campus got a gun."

She was up in seconds and driving them to Jourdan's house when Leo finally answered the phone.

...-༄

Leo sighed and walked out of class at the fifth call. "Bro, what?"

"It's somebody on Ryélle campus with a gun and I'm two hours away."

"It's a kid?"

"I don't know. It's either a kid or somebody that's supposed to be for me try'n'a take my sister while I'm not there. Either way it go, I need her safe. I don't care if everybody else in that mu'fucker die. My sister gotta make it out."

He'd already started running, "Aight, I'll let you know what happen."

"What?"

He stopped with a huff to speak, "I said 'I'll let you know what happen.' I'm finna go get her."

"Fasho. Be safe."

"No promises."

Leo hung up before taking off again. I really hope this just a kid that don't know what he doing.

The school wasn't at all on lockdown, which meant faculty had yet to find out about the weapon on campus. He went to the office for a visitor's pass then texted Ryélle to see where she was.

She replied instantly. 'Bathroom by the gym'

He went that way calmly, watching his surroundings for any sign of hostility that might suggest someone around him was armed.

He called for her as soon as he made it to the bathroom, "Baby K, let's go."

She ran out immediately to hug him, sobbing in his arms.

"Relax, li'l one. You know we ain't never go'n let shit happen to you," he assured.

He picked her up and walked off campus without saying a word to any of her teachers. All of her belongings were left behind, but it didn't matter because she was safe.

"How bad you need your book bag and stuff? Do I need to come back and get it?" he asked.

She shook her head silently, tightening her grip around him.