21

cw: language, gang affiliation, drug use, unprotected sex

Remember Me-

Jourdan and Keyonte watched Sojourner as she walked away before turning to each other.

The man sighed as he lit another blunt. He took a long drag and exhaled before speaking. "Don't think I ain't seen them hickeys you left on my baby neck, boy."

Kush sat silently. He had no idea how to respond to that.

"I always knew you was go'n come get your girl eventually," he sighed, smoke flowing from his nostrils.

The boy was completely confused, "What you mean?"

"Before y'all left... Actually, let me start by saying, you and her been together since birth. After A'merie had you, you went everywhere with your pops. And he came to my house every goddamn day. Sojourner was your best friend before she ever came out her momma stomach. You used to be hugging all over my girl, try'n'a talk to SoJay, all that. Any time my girl was around, you always wanted to be up under her."

"Then my princess came, we brought you in the room and you was just staring at her. Y'all was attached at the hip for three years, and after y'all left, she asked where you were and bawled her eyes out every time I told her you wasn't coming back."

Kush shook his head, "I don't remember none of that."

"She don't either. But it happened, and I already know I'm not go'n be able to keep y'all apart from now on. But now that y'all older, it's shit I gotta worry about more than just one of y'all being shitty," he said as they both laughed. "Y'all damn near grown now... Don't put no baby in my daughter, boy."

"We ain't on that."

He hit the blunt again and finally passed it to Kush, "Don't lie to me, boy. I seen the way you was kissing on her. It ain't nothing you can say to convince me, you ain't fuck her when I let you stay over last night. I knew it was go'n happen."

Kush took a long drag, speaking as he exhaled. "So I'm guessing, you finna kill me then? Can I get a few seconds to run first?"

The man snickered and shook his head, "You stupid. Ain't nobody said nothing like that. Plus you got Saint standing over you. If anybody put they hands on you, all hell breaking loose. But let you hurt my princess..."

He cut Huncho off, "I'm'a be real, I ain't got no plans of cuffing her. We ain't even finna be out here much longer, it don't make no sense for me and her to start dating, or whatever, right now."

"You graduating there. After that, you coming home."

"I live in Corpus."

"That ain't your home."

"And San Antonio is? I ain't been here since I was three."

"So what? You think your history don't still live in these streets."

"My history don't. Everything here is my dad's memories."

Jourdan pointed to his daughter, who was currently chugging a bottle of Bacardi that'd been mixed with whatever to turn it blue. "She not. Go get her 'fore I kick her li'l ass."

Kush shook his head, exhaling a cloud of smoke as he stood. He unintentionally stole the man's blunt as he went take the bottle from Sojourner.

"What you doing, mama?" he hummed, setting it on the table.

She giggled drunkenly and hugged him, barely maintaining her balance, "Drinkin'."

"You don't think that was too much?" he returned, holding her up as he hit the blunt.