Chapter 10 : Sleepy

[Axol's POV]

Melony gasps, covering her mouth. I stood and stared at Niles, who had just told us the truth.
"You're.. But I saw you.. You passed on.."
"Yes, that might have been the case. But you see, I never passed on like you saw at the void. He was just simply going to yet another body, me. It seems I can never pass on."
Niles had moved his hair away from his face to reveal nothing there. The one eye he does had moved directly to the center of his face as he told us the truth about his identity. I couldn't believe it, and I doubt Melony could either. Niles smiled a bit.
"But that's okay, at least he gets to live a peaceful afterlife, while I'm stuck here with you.. You bunch of lowlifes, who took the one thing I truly loved!!" His smile then turned to anger. "You killed Zero, stole him from me!"
"We didn't know-"
"Think about it this way, Niles."
I look at Melony and noticed she's trying to transform into her Fierce Deity form. "You're the one who runs this laboratory disguised as an asylum, right?"
"Yeah, so what?"
"You kidnapped so many people, made them suffer so bad, and turned them into.. this."
"Yes."
Melony had a look of death written all over her face. "How do you think I'm gonna let that slide without a punishment?"
As soon as Melony's transformation was complete, he began to grow terrified. That was when he pulled out his last card, his final resort. He charges himself into Melony's chest right as soon as she transforms. She screams, grabbing onto her head. I grab my machete, my eye twitching. The screaming felt like it was going on for hours before she stopped. She looked over at me, her eyes both have 0's in them. My breathing became hitched. "Melony.."
She was silent. Melony then smiled. "This body's nice. Much better than yours ever was."
Her voice was distorted, mixing with Niles's voice. I shouldn't be terrified, but now that I'm put in Melony's shoes without any idea of what much to do, I began to grow anxious. And it seemed to be that my fear made him laugh.
"That's adorable, didn't I tell you that you shouldn't let fear overwhelm you to the point of weakness?"
I gulp, but then I remember how Zero was able to transport her to that dimension where she set me free at. However, I had realized that in order to get there, someone had to be powerful enough to be considered a God in order to get there, and I'm not that at all. I know what I have to do, but it wasn't going to be easy. I charge straight at Melony, she grabs my wrists as I try to swing at her.
"What are you doing?"
He's mimicking her voice. "Axol, this isn't like you."
I try to swing at her again, but she keeps resisting. "You're scaring me.."
"You're not Melony."
"Axol, of course its me!"
"I said.."
I raise my machete. "You're not Melony! Come out you bastard and face me yourself!"
I thrust my machete into Melony's chest. She coughed up some blood, turning back to normal. Some of the blood got onto my hands, I clench my teeth. I pull my weapon out, letting her collapse into my arms. She began to breath heavily. "Axol.."
"Mel?"
"What's happening..?"
"You'll.." I hesitate. "You'll be fine. You're gonna be okay." She had seemed to already know that she was going to die, judging by her scared tone and sad expression.
"Axol, I'm scared.."
"I'm sorry, Mel.. Just.." I had to think up of something for her to distract herself.
"I'm a bit sleepy.."
"Go to sleep, you earned it, dear. I'll protect you, I promise. I promise that I won't let you die."
I rubbed my blood stained hands against her cheeks, comforting her. Melony smiled at me before drawing her final breath in her human form. She morphed back into her original watermelon form with her Fierce Deity mask in place. The mask cracked in half and shattered. I stared at the sight. I continued to rub my thumb against the surprisingly hard shell of the fruit. "Rest. I'll be there when you wake up."
I set her down and stand up. I heard a voice behind me. "Ah, what a tragedy. Killed by your own hand. If thats not a cliche way to put tension in a tale, than I dont know what is."
I turn to Niles.
"Now, you wanted me to face you myself?"
"Yes."
I point my blood covered machete at him.
"I'm about ready to stop you from doing any further damage."
Niles grinned. He stepped back some.
"Well, come and get me then if you're the so-called 'hero' of the story."
I strike him, but before I could reach him, he grabs my machete, black and almost inky blood trailing down and mixing with Melony's red blood.
"Decades. Decades that I have spent using universe after universe to create our perfect world. None of them were the proper vessel."
I look into his eye, gasping at the sight. His facial expression was quite pissed off, and his one eye was bleeding the same black substance.
"And you, a lone manga artist, try to stop a God? How foolish. How.. disgusting."
He tosses me backward, I catch myself and hold up my weapon. He then begins to cackle like a witch. His height began to increase, his clothes began to tear, but not tear to where they would easily slip off. Some of his hair slipped off the follicles of his head, and his eye was still bleeding, eventually becoming entirely black. Sharp teeth grew in rows in his mouth, some growing behind the teeth he already had. I swallow some saliva to clear the pain swelling inside me. Niles laughed maniacally as he accepted his new transformation. I felt beads of tears forming in my one eye. I dont even know if I'm ready anymore.