Chapter 11 : Niles's Useless Objective

I'm not surprised. You know, about all this going on. Though I can say one thing, history is just repeating itself. Our call to adventure, befriending folks along the way, and having said friend betray us at the end. We were naiive fools who decided to take his warnings for granted because he was our friend. But he had his goals and we had ours. That was the vast difference between us and him. Niles grabbed my wrists as I went for another attack, we were both covered in bruises and scratches. "You're very stubborn. I'm surprised your tenacity brought you this far."
"It ain't just my tenacity."
"And your strength too. That was why I chose you as my previous vessel. And Melony, oh with that strength, was why I possessed her this time. She had the potential to destroy this damned universe, but you took that away."
I smirk. "Great." I try to swing a punch at him, but he blocks the attack. "What do you even hope to gain from this to begin with? You mentioned how you wanted things to go back to normal for you?"
"Yes, I did. What does that have to do with anything?"
"What you're doing is making things worse, for you and everyone else. With every universe corrupted and destroyed, what do you plan to do then? You'll have nothing! You're gonna be helpless and alone, and neither me nor Melony will be there to help you!"
"Just shut up you fucking asshole!" Niles makes another attempt to grab me. I noticed throughout this duel, he never bothered to use his powers. Maybe it was because he didn't want to show his weakness in this form.
"Admit it! No matter how many universes you've destroyed the past 11 years, nothing is ever going to change the fact that you're just a virus! You'll never heal! Let me kill you and I can change that!"
Niles growls. "Not even Melony could've killed Zero when he was in Soy's body! What makes you think you're gonna kill me?!"
I hold my machete to his neck above me, leaning in close for a loud whisper.
"Because you're getting weak. I can tell."
He just stared at me, his teeth clenched. "Now will you comply with me or not?"
He took a breath. He began to shrink down back to his normal size, wiping the ink from his eye. I move my machete away, still standing in front of him.
"Now. Are you wishing to be at peace?"
Niles hesitantly nods.
"Then stand still. I'll make this as quick and painless as possible."
I grip onto my weapon. He stared at me as if he was seeing a ghost. I was almost growing hesitant as I saw there were beads of tears in his eye. After a few seconds, I speak again.
"Hey."
He looks at me with confusion.
"I have to admit, I uh, appreciate you trying to help Melony discover her true power."
It takes a moment, but Niles smiles. "Its no trouble. Wait you're not gonna use it for evil too, aren't you?"
We both laugh. "No, no. I just appreciate it."
"Well, you're welcome, then. And, I'm sorry. For everything."
I thrust my machete into Niles's chest. He looks at me as he coughed out his breath. "Thank you.."
He falls as I pull out my weapon. As he collapsed, I could've sworn I heard him whisper "I'm coming, Zero, Fred."
I stared at his carcass. My heart felt numb. I had to keep going.